• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dealing with dark spots on shoes

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember those cool C&J handgrades I posted pictures of a while back? Well, my right shoe met the curb today, and there's a scratch right on the toe of the cap. I tried polishing it over, and now the scratch is surrounded by a nice, dark spot which I can't seem to remove. Help.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
If all else fails, send them to Shoe Service Plus in Manhattan. When I get back to my home office I'll post contact info. They've saved three pairs of my shoes so far.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll just blend the spot into the surrounding antiquing. I should be less fussy about these sorts of things, because shoes are made to be worn, and sometimes they're kicked around. I think I'll be happier that way instead of constantly aggravating over a small blemish.

How often should one polish his brown shoes with brown shoe polish? (As opposed to using neutral, for instance.)

BjornH

Reaction score
Interesting question. I've thought about switching to neutral polish or cream on one of my darker brown shoes just to see what happens. They could use some highlights and perhaps that would give it to them. It's a sort of reverse antiquing (sp?) I would think.

B

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone posted some info on C&J recrafting, but I can't find the post. It said something about price and what was involved in their recrafting process.

Phil

Reaction score
Maybe im in the minority, but those scratches are what adds character to shoes, in my opinion. As long as the scratch isnt absurdly big or deep, then just put some polish on it and blend it in as best you can.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Interesting question. I've thought about switching to neutral polish or cream on one of my darker brown shoes just to see what happens. They could use some highlights and perhaps that would give it to them. It's a sort of reverse antiquing (sp?) I would think.
I wonder if perhaps alternating between different shades during several different polishings might help with antiquing. Has anyone tried that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads