1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with dark spots on shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alias, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Alias

Alias Senior member

Remember those cool C&J handgrades I posted pictures of a while back? Well, my right shoe met the curb today, and there's a scratch right on the toe of the cap. I tried polishing it over, and now the scratch is surrounded by a nice, dark spot which I can't seem to remove. Help.

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

If all else fails, send them to Shoe Service Plus in Manhattan. When I get back to my home office I'll post contact info. They've saved three pairs of my shoes so far.

3. Alias

Alias Senior member

I think I'll just blend the spot into the surrounding antiquing. I should be less fussy about these sorts of things, because shoes are made to be worn, and sometimes they're kicked around. I think I'll be happier that way instead of constantly aggravating over a small blemish.

How often should one polish his brown shoes with brown shoe polish? (As opposed to using neutral, for instance.)

4. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

Interesting question. I've thought about switching to neutral polish or cream on one of my darker brown shoes just to see what happens. They could use some highlights and perhaps that would give it to them. It's a sort of reverse antiquing (sp?) I would think.

B

5. Alias

Alias Senior member

I know someone posted some info on C&J recrafting, but I can't find the post. It said something about price and what was involved in their recrafting process.

6. Phil

Phil Senior member

Maybe im in the minority, but those scratches are what adds character to shoes, in my opinion. As long as the scratch isnt absurdly big or deep, then just put some polish on it and blend it in as best you can.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I wonder if perhaps alternating between different shades during several different polishings might help with antiquing. Has anyone tried that?