• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dead skin on lips

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for me to get the occasional flake of dead skin on my lips, and I sometimes catch myself absent-mindedly chewing at it or tugging on it in public. (Not very suave.) It seems to be getting a little worse as I get older, so I'm wondering if there's a safe product that exfoliates lips. I'm already considering going in to rehab to deal with my Blistex addiction, but Blistex just moisturizes the dead skin; it doesn't remove it. Anybody got any recommendations -- short of a belt sander, that is?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get better stuff than Blistex and stop chewing.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wet washcloth in the shower. And I'm with you - damn you Blistex.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Burt's Bees "Defending" beeswax lip balm

Nike

Reaction score
i have heard of people brushing their lips so the dead skin is gone dont know how well that would work

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Burt's Bees, the mint flavor has a cool, tingling feel to it. I also use a scrub from Kiehl's on my face that has bits of seashell in it. I'll LIGHTLY rub my lips with it every few days, then apply the Burt's. I used to have dry lips, probably from poor hydration, and this works for me. Always keep a tube in your pocket, and don't lick your lips.
smile.gif

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
"Dead skin on lips"

sorry Im in the wrong place, thought this was the **********a thread.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nike
i have heard of people brushing their lips so the dead skin is gone dont know how well that would work

A female friend of mine taught me about this, but she told me to do this in the morning shower after putting vaseline on 'em at night when going to bed. The bedtime vaseline thing works wonders and keeps my lips from getting all dried out, I highly recommend it.

Oh, and as far as during the day, I agree about not using blistex. I try and use Burt's Bee's and other lip salves/balms with only natural ingredients (Dr. Bonner's also makes some nice stuff).

But do practice the bedtime vaseline application, it really helps.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greenleaflettuce
try Kiehl's Facial Fuel No-Shine Moisturizing Lip Balm
At $8.50 per tube? What's it made out of, real fuel?

There seems to be something of a consensus here regarding Burt's Bees, so I'll give that a try. I'm curious, though, why several of you are down on Blistex.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Blistex is addictive. It works, but then you need it. I've been hooked for like 10 years now.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bigelow's menthol lip balm is the best.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Blistex is addictive. It works, but then you need it. I've been hooked for like 10 years now.
I think they're all addictive -- not in the literal sense, of course, but in the sense that one feels a craving for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads