• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dead lift pain

aleeboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I did my weekly deadlift session and worked my way to a new PR, 265lbs. I have a question about what kind of pain one should feel. When I first DL a month ago, I would feel soreness in my hamstring and upper back (traps), today I feel pain in my lower back. It's not a constant pain but it hurts if I touch it or bend down too much/too quickly. I like to think that it's similar to having sore chest muscles after a heavy BP session. Do others experience this? Or is this something to be concerned about?

I know you are not qualified docs, but share your experiences on the deadlift.

Thanks,

AL

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check your form.
Soreness in your lowerback should be minimal IIRC.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After heavy deads, or a particularly rough olympic lifting session, I can certainly feel the soreness in my lower back (the spinal erectors in particular).

As long as it is good sore, not injury sore, you should be fine. In any case, always always always watch your form on the deadlifts.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. During a deadlift your spinal erectors are isometrically contracting very hard, so it's not surprising that they'll feel sore. If it's a dull soreness and doesn't feel like an injury, you're probably fine.

Make sure you're keeping your back arched, pushing through the heels, and not letting the bar drift out in front of you.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as many said already, check your form, and other than that muscle soreness is ok. I mean you might have pulled something or pinched a nerve, but I doubt it.

Now if it's your spine that's hurting.. watch out.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have 2 severely herniated disks and experience soreness every time i dead, shrug or squat.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IME, lower back soreness is to be expected. It is my most sore muscle after DLing. Notice I said muscle. Your back should not feel strained, and it certainly should not feel injured. Simply sore.

The DL uses the lower back more so than any other exercise. If you are doing it properly, your lower back will be sore due to the fact that you are using it heavily to keep you back arched and not bent.

I love the feeling of a sore lower back - and it usually subsides within a day or two. If it lasts longer, it may be a structural injury and you should lay off the DL for a while, or at least revisit your form.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I defer to the board.
I've been DL'ing for years.
Maybe it's time I upped the weight. . .

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I defer to the board.
I've been DL'ing for years.
Maybe it's time I upped the weight. . .

If you've been doing it for that long it could be that you just have a very strong lower back already.

remn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleeboy
Hi,

I did my weekly deadlift session and worked my way to a new PR, 265lbs. I have a question about what kind of pain one should feel. When I first DL a month ago, I would feel soreness in my hamstring and upper back (traps), today I feel pain in my lower back. It's not a constant pain but it hurts if I touch it or bend down too much/too quickly. I like to think that it's similar to having sore chest muscles after a heavy BP session. Do others experience this? Or is this something to be concerned about?

I know you are not qualified docs, but share your experiences on the deadlift.

Thanks,

AL

Try mixing some good mornings into your regimen. It definitely helped me strengthen my back and make going up in DL weight easier.

aleeboy

Reaction score
Thanks for your comforting words on the experiences you've had. I feel alot better today. I went for a Thai Massage (the clean type) last night and it felt great to have my lower back molested. Woke up feeling no soreness. Guess as you progress on the DL, you should be feeling some, or alot, of muscular soreness in the lower back.

I take all your points about form and I do pay alot of attention to this, especially now I'm looking to this exercise to give me a boost.

Cheers,

AL

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i go for deep tissue massage once every 10 days or so and it does wonders for the soreness.

jhdas

Reaction score
I know I hurt my lower back real bad doing deadlifts wrong just a couple times. Make sure to keep your back straight and keep the angle between your back and the ground constant until your legs are extended. That was my mistake, at least.

dimshum

Reaction score
aleeboy,

Be careful, you just might be doing your deadlifts incorrectly. This summer, after reaching 300+ pounds on my deadlift, my immediate backpain told me that my form was way off. Read up on the lift and watch some videos on it. A key component to the deadlift is keeping your core tight. So long as your core is rigid throughout the lift, your back will keep its form.

Remember, the deadlift builds a stronger back by learning to stay rigid while lifting a tremendous amount of weight. Your back should be tender after a heavy session, but definitely not in pain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads