• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DE shaving Vietnam style...

Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
So in a perverse commodity trading arrangement with Nick M, I picked him up a "Gillette Superclick" DE razor and some blades from the local supermarket (he is sending me shoe polishes in return), and had to snap a photo of the how-to-shave guide from the back for you guys.



So cool....
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
8: "Dung, you are so smooth..."
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Sex sells, in any language.
 

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
2
i like the teeny tiny shaving brush. in fact the scale of objects seems to careen all over the map in the manner of willy wonka's factory.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
i like the teeny tiny shaving brush. in fact the scale of objects seems to careen all over the map in the manner of willy wonka's factory.
Perhaps it was a tribute to Cary Grant who also used such an item in North by Northwest.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Perhaps it was a tribut to Cary Grant who also used such an item in North by Northwest.
Do you think the absurdly tiny razor in Lost in Translation was an homage to that as well?
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
This ad just got so much cooler.

The warning in step 7....

Khong nen lao luoi dao bang tay hoac cao means....

"Do not clean blades by hand or foot"

!!!
 

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by [email protected]
This ad just got so much cooler.

The warning in step 7....

Khong nen lao luoi dao bang tay hoac cao means....

"Do not clean blades by hand or foot"

!!!

Okay, so let's say hypothetically speaking, somebody forgot to tell me this, are there any crudely-translated-from-the-Vietnamese foot-first-aid hints you can pass along?
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by [email protected]
This ad just got so much cooler.

The warning in step 7....

Khong nen lao luoi dao bang tay hoac cao means....

"Do not clean blades by hand or foot"

!!!


Actually, it says "khong nen lau luoi dao bang tay hoac khan," which means "should not wipe blade with hand or towel." If it said "chan" instead of "khan," then you have "foot" instead of "towel."

Here are the translations:
1. Push up to open top. You should hear "click" sound.
2. Place blade in position.
3. Put the top back until you hear "click."
4. Clean face and should use Gillette shaving cream.
5. Shave gently.
6. After shaving, clean with water.
7. Should not wipe blade with hand or towel.
8. Super click shaves cleanly and smoothly.
 

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,527
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Nick M
Okay, so let's say hypothetically speaking, somebody forgot to tell me this, are there any crudely-translated-from-the-Vietnamese foot-first-aid hints you can pass along?

Yeah, "do not clean wound with salt."
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,405
Reaction score
10,480
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Actually, it says "khong nen lau luoi dao bang tay hoac khan," which means "should not wipe blade with hand or towel." If it said "chan" instead of "khan," then you have "foot" instead of "towel."

Here are the translations:
1. Push up to open top. You should hear "click" sound.
2. Place blade in position.
3. Put the top back until you hear "click."
4. Clean face and should use Gillette shaving cream.
5. Shave gently.
6. After shaving, clean with water.
7. Should not wipe blade with hand or towel.
8. Super click shaves cleanly and smoothly.

I prefer Nick's translation
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,309
Messages
9,231,570
Members
193,790
Latest member
dorothyJessica
Top