• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

De-roping roped shoulders?

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
I have a suit on hold at my tailor, It's a great textured blue-greyish color with a thicker fabric of virgin wool, which I believe could also be blazer worn. He's also cutting me a great deal, but I have an aversion to roped shoulders.

The tailor said he could take in the padding a bit and press down the roping.

He's a good tailor, I've been using him for over a year and trust his work, but I would like opinions if anyone has had experience with this?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert. But I have an excellent tailor who has reduced or removed the
padding from several jackets that I purchased. I think to "de rope" the shouder
the sleevehead has to be changed. Not just pressing and a little padding removal.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sleats
I would simply have it "beaten" down rather than remove it in its entirety unless it is far too much roping. Would be helpful to see a photo.

+1

It usually works unless you have serious Tom Ford roping. But unless you trim down the sleeve and resew the sleevehead it won't completely go away. Roping is the result of sewing a larger sleeve into a smaller armhole. Usually wadding is put into the sleevehead so it keeps it's shape, though I believe some Neapolitan tailors leave it natural.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr. Mystery;3791408 said:
I have a suit on hold at my tailor, It's a great textured blue-greyish color with a thicker fabric of virgin wool, which I believe could also be blazer worn. He's also cutting me a great deal, but I have an aversion to roped shoulders.QUOTE]

Aversion to roped shoulders eh? There is probably a couch somewhere round here you could lie down on.....

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be done.

I did in one of mine, actually I picked up a Caruso in my size that was too wide on shoulders and got it diminished 2 cm on each shoulder, one shoulder got a bit " roped " and today it will be as a spalla camiccia one, rounded .

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Roping is the result of sewing a larger sleeve into a smaller armhole.

This is part of it, but all sleeves are eased into a smaller arm-hole, while not all sleeves are roped. It's the padding and the pressing of the seams towards the sleeve which really make it roped.

Mr. Mystery

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Sleats, from what I can remember it's exactly like the jacket you've shown.

I guess if I could differentiate, it would be more rounded with a bump than truly roped, it doesn't feel like actual padding inside the rope.

Also it's made by chester and reese, the tailor said it was made in canada? I don't know how I feel of this and can't find any info on the company/designer. Does anyone know of this label. It seems of good quality to my trained eye. It doesn't look trendy like it's a fresh label, more or less classic with average size lapels, but is cut slim. I'm 36 and this in 38 fits me in the shoulders.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Careful, I'm about to start pre-buzzing roped shoulders in a big way. (There's already some pre-buzz for a stronger shoulder.) You could be an early adopter of the next StyleForvm Big Thing.

foo.gif

The Gooch

Reaction score
Wouldn't beating down the roping cause immense shoulder (upper arm) divots?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads