• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DC tailor for OTR alterations

bigspur

Reaction score
I recently purchased a fairly cheap seersucker suit off the rack to wear to my wedding this summer. Because I am asking my groomsmen to pay for the same suit, it was important that the imposition be as cheap as possible. I'm hoping alterations can improve the fit.

Can anyone recommend a tailor in the DC area for alterations? I don't trust Yelp.

bigspur

Reaction score
Thanks! This should have been in the original post, but I'm hoping not to break the bank here.

If I had spent a decent chunk of change on the suit ($500+), then Field would make sense. But it's unfortunately a Jos. A Bank and not worth investing in alterations that could easily double the cost of the suit. Barring a miracle, I'm resigned to the fact that I will never be in love with the suit. At the same time, I'm hoping I won't vomit in my mouth a little every time I look at my wedding photos.

Rompson

Reaction score
I use vip custom tailors. I wouldn't call them cheap exactly, (more like moderately priced) but they do good work.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London Tailors in Bethesda are cheaper than Field. It helps if you speak Korean, but they can do solid work. Arm length, waist suppression, even recutting shoulders (although with mixed success). They aren't very good with neck rolls and lowering collars though.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a tailor in the DC area for alterations?

If you're in northern DC and/or don't mind driving to Rockville, MD, you might try Edgar's Tailoring, right next to White Flint Mall.

5541 Nicholson Lane
Rockville, MD 20852
301-881-1590

I've only used his services a couple of times so far -- and not on anything complicated -- but his prices seem reasonable and he's done a very good job on the simple tasks I've required of him so far. I plan to keep going back until he gives me a reason not to.

Good luck to you,
TB

mackmittonz

Reaction score

If you're in northern DC and/or don't mind driving to Rockville, MD, you might try Edgar's Tailoring, right next to White Flint Mall.
5541 Nicholson Lane
Rockville, MD 20852
301-881-1590
I've only used his services a couple of times so far -- and not on anything complicated -- but his prices seem reasonable and he's done a very good job on the simple tasks I've required of him so far. I plan to keep going back until he gives me a reason not to.
Good luck to you,
TB

I used to go to Edgar's for years but stopped because I got annoyed with quality and timeliness issues. He'd take longer than a week on common things like pant hems and sleeve shortening. He'd offer up one week as the date for pick up and then when I'd show up he'd say, oh, can I have another day or, let me finish it up when obviously he hadn't started yet and would do it on the spot.

As for quality, he can't seem to shorten dress sleeves. He ruined my borrelli because he shortened it too much. The hems sometimes look nice and sometimes just look like junk. In fact, on one pair of my trousers I'm considering have them re-hemmed because the hem is coming undone and he used a pretty thick thread. so it's very conspicuous. Sun Tailoring in Tysons Galleria has done decent work for me since I've switched over.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to go to Edgar's for years but stopped because I got annoyed with quality and timeliness issues.

That's good to know, mack. Thanks. Do you (or does anyone else) know of a good alterations tailor in the Rockville, Silver Spring, Columbia region? Tyson's would be a bit of a trek for me.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's good to know, mack. Thanks. Do you (or does anyone else) know of a good alterations tailor in the Rockville, Silver Spring, Columbia region? Tyson's would be a bit of a trek for me.

I don't have any experience with their alterations service, but Parkway Cleaners does a really nice job on dry cleaning. I'd be surprised if there alterations weren't of the same quality. Again though, not cheap. Really though, I think it's worth it to go to Mr. Field. Cost is probably about twice what you'd pay at a typical run of the mill dry cleaners for something like hemming pants. Usually when I take a jacket to Mr. Field, total alterations come out to somewhere between $100 and $200 (that's without surgeon cuffs). But the work he does is really superlative. Both of the two times I've tried to save some money by taking jobs to cheaper and more conveniently located (for me) tailors, I've ended up taking them to Mr. Field to be fixed.

RingTail

Reaction score
Try the tailor in Montgommery Mall, I've had good results with SC sleeve adjustments and hemming pants.

gauchogolfer

Reaction score
Try Mr. Lee out in Fairfax (Best Tailoring, on 29 near Nutley). He did an Indochino suit of mine and did a great job.

prozach1576

Reaction score
I use Matt's Tailoring in downtown Falls Church. He does excellent work and is, I believe, fairly cheap. I just got some stuff back from him last week actually. For about $100 he hemmed a pair of trousers with cuffs and did sleeve/center seam/collar alterations on a jacket. It is the fourth such job I've brought to him, and it's all been good work. The only thing I would suggest is to be forceful about the inseam length you want, since he will tend towards a full break unless you are pretty clear. He has an excellent eye for jacket fit though.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 103 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%