DC Shopping Update

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Aug 7, 2006.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

Regarding the NM last call sale, if you really want the best stuff, your best bet is to go now. Right now, the sale is something like 20 or 30% off, but it is during this part of the sale (before the bottom basement Last Call sale) that it seems most of the Kiton/Borrelli/T&A gets sold. Also, don't forget there are two NMs in the DC area -- Mazza and Tysons. A couple years ago, I was amazed by how much more stuff the Tysons store had at the Last Call sale. For example, there were dozens and dozens of Incotex and Oxxford slacks in my size, with the Oxxfords marked down from $495-600+ to about $200, whereas the Mazza store only had a few stray pairs when I went. Sometimes, I think the experience has been the opposite, with Mazza getting the better selection.

If you're in the market for RLPL (slacks, shirts, sweaters) or NM-store label cashmere sweaters, for example, it's probably better to wait until the Last Call sale.

By the way, I got a postcard about Wm. Fox on 15th street having its annual winter sale. 50% off lots of winter garb.

2. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior member

Couple of things, my DC-based gents:

1. I purchased a RLPL blue pinstripe 2-pc suit (incredibly beautiful) shortly before the New Year's Holiday one sale for $1,398 (down from $3,295). I have since decided to return it as I just can't justify owning 4 blue pistripe suits. If anyone is interested -- it's now at the Georgetown RL boutique, priced at something like 70% off now. [​IMG] Size 40 short. Deals like this don't last long.

2. I find it helpful to have a salesperson NM that you work with regularly. I've been working with XX @ Tyson's for about 10 years now, he's been great to me. I can shoot him an email or phone call and he'll tell me what the deals are in my size. If you're a regular bargain hunter at the NM sales, get to know one of the guys and tell them what you're looking for. It will definitely pay off.

Beyond time savings, the relationship benefits me financially -- xx has told me to wait on certain purchases that he suspects might be marked down in the near future, saving me the embarassment of paying full price.

Cheers,

Hoya

3. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Couple of things, my DC-based gents:

1. I purchased a RLPL blue pinstripe 2-pc suit (incredibly beautiful) shortly before the New Year's Holiday one sale for $1,398 (down from $3,295). I have since decided to return it as I just can't justify owning 4 blue pistripe suits. If anyone is interested -- it's now at the Georgetown RL boutique, priced at something like 70% off now. [​IMG] Size 40 short. Deals like this don't last long.

2. I find it helpful to have a salesperson NM that you work with regularly. I've been working with xxxx xxxxxx @ Tyson's for about 10 years now, he's been great to me. I can shoot him an email or phone call and he'll tell me what the deals are in my size. If you're a regular bargain hunter at the NM sales, get to know one of the guys and tell them what you're looking for. It will definitely pay off.

Beyond time savings, the relationship benefits me financially -- xxxx has told me to wait on certain purchases that he suspects might be marked down in the near future, saving me the embarassment of paying full price. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Hoya

"Beyond time savings, the relationship benefits me financially -- xxxx has told me to wait on certain purchases that he suspects might be marked down in the near future, saving me the embarassment of paying full price. "

Let's hope xxxx still has a job! Some things you keep to yourself.

4. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior member

"Beyond time savings, the relationship benefits me financially -- xx has told me to wait on certain purchases that he suspects might be marked down in the near future, saving me the embarassment of paying full price. "

Let's hope xx still has a job! Some things you keep to yourself.

Mr monty, good point. I've removed his name from my post. I trust you will do the same.

5. minhi

minhi Senior member

i was at the chevy chase barneys coop today, not much left in the smaller sizes (pants above 34 and shirts large and higher is what's left) however i did pick up two ps scarves, a ps cord dress slacks, trovata cord jeans and cord blazer (yikes a lot of cords!). with the discounts it was about $275 for me, i think list all together was $1k, so decent for me. i'm a size 30 pants, medium jacket and there's not much left in those sizes. there were plenty of citizens and ag cord jeans though, i think with discount around $50 and i saw a few pairs of earnest sewn (i think fulton) for $60. you can call to check but they can't hold anything.

my wallet didn't let me go to the georgetown location (but my luck there is never good)

6. kabert

kabert Senior member

I went to the Tyson's NM on Saturday. Was only passing through enroute to another store, but quickly I checked out the racks of men's shirts and slacks. Lots of Incotex and Isaia slacks; I didn't see any Oxxford, but I was only looking in my size. Strangely, lots of Stefano Ricci shirts (Tysons NM has a tiny S-R boutique in the store), plus a few Borrelli and T&A shirts. Most all the shirts were in pastel or otherwise non-business colors (e.g., pink and lime green Borrellis). Oh, I noticed there were several pairs of John Lobb "Campus" loafers for sale for @ $350. Rubber soled versions. Sizes were in the 8-10 range from what I recall.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I was underwhelmed by the selection at Mazza Gallerie's NM. I think this forum has spoiled me. I ended up putting away for pick-up tonight a pair of russet Zegna cords.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Filene's Basement Update:

The Connecticut Avenue store has a small selection of Dolce & Gabbana. The Mazza Gallerie store recently received a shipment from Mitchell's (which, interestingly, the Connecticut Avenue store did not). The Mitchell's shipment includes lots of Borrelli shirts, sweaters, and jeans/casual pants.

9. DuncanM

DuncanM Well-Known Member

Since I work a few blocks from the K st Filene's I went by there to see if they got anything good. Sadly, that store is a waste.

Edit: meant 14th St (National Press building)

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I actually thought that was the best one in the area. I've never found anything good at the one by the National Press building.

11. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

I think Connecticut Ave is best for suits and sportcoats, but Mazza Gallerie has a better selection of casual clothing and slightly better selection of shoes. Also Mazza Gallerie has more space to wander between the racks.

The ones in National Press Building and Rockville are not nearly as good as those two. But sometimes I'll hit all three on the Red Line in one trip if I'm looking for something specific - although Rockville is close to a Red Line Metro stop, it's a bit of a walk compared to the others.

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Since I work a few blocks from the K st Filene's I went by there to see if they got anything good. Sadly, that store is a waste.

Did you go upstairs?

13. Ambulance Chaser

I just received an e-mail from Filene's Basement informing me that the Connecticut Avenue and Mazza Gallerie locations will be receiving shipments from Mitchell's, Richards, and "one of New York's finest Italian boutiques" (Vacca?) on Wednesday.

14. kronik

kronik Senior member

When they receive shipments, are they out the same day?

15. kabert

kabert Senior member

Excellent AC! When those messages say the goods will be out on a given day, that means they'll be out that day and may, in fact, be out the day before. I've seen the Conn. Ave. store start to put out goods the afternoon before the first official day in order to get it all done before opening on the first official day of the sale. By the way, regarding the Italian store, I agree Vacca is a likely choice. Although I suppose it also could mean D&G or Prada.

Hopefully the pricing will be good. In the recent past, Filene's hasn't priced things any better than can be found on EBay (i.e., Borrelli shirts priced at $129 or 149; etc.).