• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dc shoe cobbler

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am interested in recommendations of a good shoe cobbler in the DC area for some resoling work.  Walking distance to a metrorail station preferred.  Thanks in advance.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sky Valet on Wisconsin is reputable and they seem to know their shoes, although I have never had them do a resole for me. They did a good job inserting metal tips into shoes for me. The brothers who run the place are good guys, very customer-service driven. Also a fun place to go if you are looking for new shoes. They carry a decent line of Aldens, Westons, and Yankos, and can get Vass as well, though their stock is limited.

Don't go to McLean Shoe Repair on Old Dominion. I had them resole an old pair of Bruno Maglis and they came back covered with glue and in pretty bad shape.

Montecristo

houston

Reaction score
Sky Valet resoled a pair of shoes for me and did a good job. I would recommend them.

Duveen

Reaction score
I'll recommend Sky Valet as well. They resoled a pair of blake-stitched Ferragamos (I know, I know...they were a pre-forum purchase&#33
, used Rendenbach soles without even asking and included a pair of laces and some polish for free. Great work on the shoes, and a good service ethic.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, all of our lobbying for Sky Valet in DC to get Edward Green shoes has worked. I just got off the phone with Sky Valet on Wisconsin Avenue in DC. The confirmed that they are to be new (ONLY) official seller of Edward Green shoes in the Washington, DC area. They expect to start selling EGs in late March and will carry about 5 styles in various colors (he mentioned they'd have at least one loafer, one oxford and two bluchers). The entire line will be available for order though, and I imagine an order could be placed now (thought I didn't ask that question). They anticipate a trunk show in late summer 2005 during which EG reps will be on hand to show off the full line of shoes and boots and to take orders, including bespoke (and MTM?) orders. The downside -- price is expected to be $850 per pair -- about $150 more than the Vass shoes Sky Valet has for sale in the store, though about the same price as Vass custom-ordered (but not bespoke) through Sky Valet. Does anyone know if Mitchell's/Richard's stores in Connecticut charge that much for EG? It was only a year or a bit more ago that someone posted on AskAndy in great detail about EGs he'd gotten at Richard's in Greenwich for a "mere" $695 each, and boots weren't much more.

In any case, this is a great development for those in DC who like EG.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest word from Sky Valet is that they'll be getting in their EG models the first week of March. When I was there today, they were also in the process of clearing out a bunch of Westons, presumably to send back to the company. I was told that they are going to get in some new models; that they were returning some models that don't sell well. They also mentioned that they are going to be getting in another line in addition to EGs -- this one is Luciano ___ (can't recall), but the shoes come from Spain and apparently are "high fashion" style shoes, along the lines of Prada I gather. While there, I ordered a pair of Yanko suede bucks -- very nice looking shoe with practical rubber sole.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Heh. I was in there today too. Bought a pair of ginger suede Sargeant half-brogues. Absolute impulse purchase. Terrific looking shoes. Not a hand-stitch that I can see, but still very well made. My first pair of Sargeants.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the price range for the Sargents?

I'm going to be in Georgetown in about a week. Isn't it right by Fields English? That would allow me to do both.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They were 20% off, so about $250. I bought trees (Alden) and those were another $40. I didn't check all the styles, so I don't know how much the prices varied.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of Sky Valet, I was told by one of the salesmen who sells his line to them and calls on me regularly that they also make custom shoes on site. He said he saw them work and thought they were very good shoes. Anyone know anything about this? Curious is all...

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
While on the subject of Sky Valet, I was told by one of the salesmen who sells his line to them and calls on me regularly that they also make custom shoes on site.  He said he saw them work and thought they were very good shoes.  Anyone know anything about this?  Curious is all...
That they do. I was in the other day on my way back from Field's and mentioned I was looking for a specific type of shoe (strong arch, no metal, etc. etc.) and the owner pulled out a sample shoe that his brother made.

I do not have the trained eye of others on this board, but I can tell you it was a very nice black, plain toe oxford. Again, not too sure about terminology. Apparently, it was made on site, entirely by hand.

I didn't press him on price, though he suggested a bespoke pair of shoes would be priced in line with the higher end Vass products.

Cheers,

Hoya

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.