• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Shirt Makers

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm effing sick....sick...of shirts not fitting me. I have big shoulders/arms/back/etc with a smaller waist. I have searched high and low for many years - so now I move to begin exploring custom made shirts. I've tried some of the online options before but just haven't quite gotten the measurements right, nor the fabric, and don't like how long it takes. I also hate not seeing the fabric in person first.

Anyone in DC have shirt maker recommendations for me? Not looking for any outrageous prices.

doodledoc

Reaction score
I'm effing sick....sick...of shirts not fitting me. I have big shoulders/arms/back/etc with a smaller waist. I have searched high and low for many years - so now I move to begin exploring custom made shirts. I've tried some of the online options before but just haven't quite gotten the measurements right, nor the fabric, and don't like how long it takes. I also hate not seeing the fabric in person first.

Anyone in DC have shirt maker recommendations for me? Not looking for any outrageous prices.
MyTailor is coming to DC on September 10, 11. I had Divij Hemrajani measure me when in Irvine, California (where the HQ is located). My shirts fit very well. I pay on average $110 out the door per shirt (including tax, shipping, custom duty fee).

http://www.mytailor.com/TourSchedule.aspx#DC

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the minimum purchase is? ^^^

doodledoc

Reaction score
Any idea what the minimum purchase is? ^^^
Don't know. I have bought just one shirt before as a test shirt. The following appointment, I bought two shirts.

Email them and ask.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may, but I think I would rather have someone who is permanently local so I could see them in person often.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been happy with W.W. Chan.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is he located? General price range?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where is he located? General price range?

Traveling tailor who visits DC every few months. I know you said you wanted a local guy, but Chan does good work if you don't mind the wait. Price depends on cloth, but I think it starts at $150 and goes up from there.

http://www.wwchan.com/

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with this, but I think Mr Field in Gtown does some sort of made to measure shirt service (I think he mentioned he sends it off to someone else) - this has been talked about on the forums before.

bcate3

Reaction score
I ordered several years ago from MyTailor with M Kenny doing measurements on the DC tour. Order had to be returned for alterations as they were baggier than my off the rack. They remain baggy after the changes, however, and are the least favorite shirts i own. To be fair, I think the quality of the buttons and stitching are fine. But, I lost confidence in M Kenny who i believe is the main salesman for the DC stops. OP, must you limit yourself to DC? I think you would increase your chances in getting a satisfactory shirt if you are willing to travel to NYC and look at the more numerous and better options there.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ordered several years ago from MyTailor with M Kenny doing measurements on the DC tour. Order had to be returned for alterations as they were baggier than my off the rack. They remain baggy after the changes, however, and are the least favorite shirts i own. To be fair, I think the quality of the buttons and stitching are fine. But, I lost confidence in M Kenny who i believe is the main salesman for the DC stops. OP, must you limit yourself to DC? I think you would increase your chances in getting a satisfactory shirt if you are willing to travel to NYC and look at the more numerous and better options there.

I've had good success with M Kenny and My Tailor. It's definitely not as finessed as some other MTM, but there's not many options in DC. I have used Field English Custom Tailor. The prices were nearly double that of My Tailor for Thomas Mason Silver fabrics and the results only better for the collar and shoulder slope adjustment. The sleeves were a tad too short. Mr. Field has the shirts made at Geneva in NY. Both fit well through the body and arm volume.

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
Have you looked into Hugh and Crye in Navy Yard? They do mostly internet sales but they have a storefront in DC. They have a 'unique' approach to sizing shirts as they call it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads