• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC: Recommendations on alteration tailors and/or MTM/Bespoke tailors

Geran Brown

Reaction score
So, I live in Washington DC and am looking for a good reasonably priced MTM/Bespoke suit. I can get OTR suits from stores like J. Crew Factory or the likes that fit fairly well but I was looking for something with a little better quality. My budget is around $1000 for two suits (navy & grey; if possible) as I am starting to change my wardrobe over from casual jeans/polos at work to something a little more appealing and grownup.

I would like the suit to be well-fitted and slim cut if possible since I have a small frame (5'6" & 125-130lbs). I've done research on here and every thread I find is from between 2007-2011. I didn't want to bump an old thread and get bashed for doing it so I thought this was the next best thing.

Just for the record, I am willing to start off with OTR suits and have them tailored to get the fit I want. So with all that said, in the end I am looking for recommendation on alteration tailors with a good eye and/or MTM/Bespoke tailors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Geran B.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience with Bespoke, however I use Fields English Custom Tailors in Glover Park for alterations and he does exceptional work.
Have you searched the B&S thread for RTW - as their are a multitude of high end Suits always available at a fraction of retail?. Likewise - EBay can be your friend. Find the brand / cut that you like and spend money on alterations. Just my 2 cents.

Geran Brown

Reaction score

I have zero experience with Bespoke, however I use Fields English Custom Tailors in Glover Park for alterations and he does exceptional work.
Have you searched the B&S thread for RTW - as their are a multitude of high end Suits always available at a fraction of retail?. Likewise - EBay can be your friend. Find the brand / cut that you like and spend money on alterations. Just my 2 cents.
Hi EarthDragon,

Thank you for the recommendation on Fields English Custom Tailors in DC. I've heard great things about him but that was mainly his Bespoke suits only. I didn't know he did basic alterations for pre-owned suits. Has he been your go-to tailor over the years?

I am going to guess that B&S means Buying & Selling, right? If so, I haven't checked them out recently because it seems like most stuff in there is much larger than a 36R which is around my size. eBay is the same way since anything close to my size is made from polyester or cheaply made fused suits. I understand J. Crew Factory suits aren't the best but at least they are 100% wool and the jacket is half canvas :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads