• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC: Need a place to continue the party after a formal event

Mentos

Reaction score
I have a formal event to attend in downtown DC on a Saturday evening. I'm taking a date and afterward we're going to want to go somewhere fun, perhaps bringing out others. Problem is that the places I usually haunt would be fine, but not exactly keeping with the well dressed theme. Can anyone think of a place for a youngish couple or crew to continue having fun in the city? I'm thinking of something like blue gin but better dressed and a little less trashy-pretentious. Laid back, but stylish, where a man can drink happily and possibly dance in a penguin suit... But I'm at a loss. Thoughts?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hardly an expert on this issue, but I think Tabaq (U Street), IndeBleu (Gallery Place), and Zengo (Gallery Place) might fit your bill.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I am hardly an expert on this issue, but I think Tabaq (U Street), IndeBleu (Gallery Place), and Zengo (Gallery Place) might fit your bill.

I'll second IndeBleu, Zengo, and Tabaq. If you wanna stay downtown, I'd say Zengo and/or IndeBleu. The bar at Zola (F between 8th & 9th) is nice also.

Edit: Just saw that you wanted to dance. IndeBleu is the only option listed above with a dance floor.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I'll second IndeBleu, Zengo, and Tabaq. If you wanna stay downtown, I'd say Zengo and/or IndeBleu. The bar at Zola (F between 8th & 9th) is nice also.

Edit: Just saw that you wanted to dance. IndeBleu is the only option listed above with a dance floor.

I've been to Zengo - had great food, but was loud as hell, and as stated, no dancefloor. Some fine employees though.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about Remingtons on Capital Hill?

bob

(that's a joke)

Mentos

Reaction score
Dan's Cafe. The perfect night cap.

Actually, Indebleu is a good idea, and I've never been to Zola. We'll probably head that way and see how we feel.

One problem I have with DC is that I feel like cool nightlife options are extremely limited. Especially on weekends, most places are either fratboy stuffed or terrible dance clubs. There are few cool gentlemen's bars where you can air out and talk, and few cool lounges.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
One problem I have with DC is that I feel like cool nightlife options are extremely limited. Especially on weekends, most places are either fratboy stuffed or terrible dance clubs. There are few cool gentlemen's bars where you can air out and talk, and few cool lounges.

I agree

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Actually, quite a few lounge-type places have opened up recently in DC -- K Street Lounge, Play, Fly, etc. The problem is that these places are populated by the "see and be seen" EuroJack crowd, which is just as bad as the AmJack crowd.

Eighteenth Street Lounge is so several years ago, but might be another good choice.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another good place that comes to mind is Lima at 14th and K.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Actually, quite a few lounge-type places have opened up recently in DC -- K Street Lounge, Play, Fly, etc. The problem is that these places are populated by the "see and be seen" EuroJack crowd, which is just as bad as the AmJack crowd.

Eighteenth Street Lounge is so several years ago, but might be another good choice.

Good point. Additionally, the cover charges at these places are ridiculous. K Street charges a $20 cover for males and you have to wait in line for ever unless you are on the guest list. Eighteenth St. charges $10 and alot of times guys can't get in unless they are with a group of girls.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a place where a guy in a tuxedo and girls in formal gowns wouldn't look at least a little out of place, and somewhat post-prom, especially at spots that have dance floors. The bars mentioned are nice (from what I've heard; I'm not much of a scenemaker--science club on 19th is the closest thing to a club I've been to in the past year), but formal dress is pretty... formal.

Mentos

Reaction score
It's a conundrum. Indeed, the EuroJack crowd is a huge issue. I've not been to Lima except for dinner--it might be a possibility. I like Science Club, but I don't think it quite has the ambience I'm looking for. The Hay Adams is a great place, but also not ideal, since it's not all that happening.

Mentos

Reaction score
Of course, we'll have fun no matter where we go, and as long as you don't let yourself feel out of place by carrying yourself as if you were still someplace more formal, it doesn't matter all that much.

weiyung

Reaction score
jin lounge on 14th st. between U and V, in the U street area is pretty nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads