1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DC Metro People--

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by alaaro, Feb 17, 2005.

1. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I am in the area here, but never venture up to Bethesda. I am heading there for dinner in a couple weeks, and needed to find a restaurant. Any recommendations? No chains, and not Jaleo. Thanks guys.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

Why not Jaleo?  A bit trendy, yes, but still great.  It's one of my favorite restaurants in the area.

Raku would be a good choice if you like Asian fusion.

3. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior Member

There's a Mongolian barbecue place whose name eludes right now that I would recommend. Head north up Wisconsin/355 past the Bethesda Metro several blocks and it'll be on the left.

4. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I am sure Jaleo is fine, I have never been, but it is on my "to do" list. This meal I am going to is not the "tapas" kind of meal where the crowd would be fine sharing, etc. But I have heard very good things and plan on going soon.

What about Grapeseed and Persimmon? Anyone been there?

5. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Just the two I was thinking of -- Grapeseed and Persimmon. They are both excellent. I've been to Grapeseed many, many times too, as I love the food, plus it has one of the best wine lists (including a huge by-the-glass wine selection) in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. I've always thought of Persimmon as more of a special occasion place, whereas Grapeseed is so versatile, it is great for special occasions or for a typical Saturday night. Both places are quite small, so reservations are recommended.

Other places -- Centro (my wife and I still haven't gone there b/c it always seems to be packed, but it gets good reviews and often has a shiny, nice-to-look-at Ferrari or "Ruf" Porsche parked out in front.
    Thyme Square -- good organic food and beer. Nonexistent wine list.
    Austin Grill -- Sort of a chain, but a favorite place of mine.

I could go on.... Your best bet is to go to washingtonian.com or washingtonpost.com and search for Bethesda restaurant reviews.

6. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

It has been decided. Green Papaya it is. Anyone been? Anyone have recs on whats good there?

btw-back to the Jaleo thing. I went to the one in crystal city and it was amazing. Cant wait to go back.

7. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Green Papaya is super. A slight bit more casual than Grapeseed, mostly because Green Papaya has a good-sized bar and outdoor seating. Whenever I go, I always order something called the "bird's nest." It's a seafood w/veggies stirfry in the most amazing edible dish/nest. There's an incredible eggroll-type appetizer that is see-through-thin wrapper around various shrimp, crab and sprouts, etc. Wine list is nothing special, but the food is great. Good choice.