DC Filene's Basement Update

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I stopped by Filene's Basement's Connecticut Avenue location on Saturday.  Didn't buy anything (fortunately, the navy blue Oxxford suit that had been a source of temptation was no longer there), but I picked up the following tidbit of information from Kofi (the African-American gentleman with a graying mustache and beard who works the second floor).  He expects that Filene's Basement will receive the Bergdorf/Barney's shipment the second week of April.  Without my prompting, he added that the prices will be lower than the prices for the Mitchell's/Richard's merchandise.  I am holding onto my credit card until then, with visions of $600 St. Andrews suits dancing in my head . . .

2. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Thanks for the info. Can't wait

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Which Filene's Basement branch in NY has the most selection of Kiton (if they carry any.) or Borrelli suits?

And what is the price should I expect?

Thanks.

4. sashae

sashae Senior member

To my knowledge, the NYC stores don't -regularly- get in Kiton or Borrelli... Oxxford and Corneliani i've seen most frequently. The selection is VERY hit or miss, at least in my opinion. They've got a bunch of Brioni shirts in now at a enh price of $199/per. This is my opinion of the Union Square store -- I haven't been to any others. -s

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

The Newton Center store in Boston has Kiton on occassion. They actually currently have a gorgeous charcoal Kiton suit (3 season weight, wool/cashmere blend I think). The price is $1800, and will be reduced to $900 in a couple of months probably (I doubt it will sell before then). I think it was in a 43R, but I'm not certain. The $1800 price is typical of Kiton prices there, which are only reduced during retail stock blowouts.

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Size 43R?
    That's my size ..
    I'll buy at $900 for sure..
    johnnynorman3, could you do me a favor please ..
    could you look out for me please? maybe we can arrange some kind of deal here?

Let me know ..
    Thank you.

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I'll give you updates as they come -- I usually head out there once a month or so, and make sure to hit the blowouts the day of.

8. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Just in time for my visit.