• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Filene's Basement: good selection of suits (25% off sale), sportscoats, ties

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Filene's Basement on Connecticut Ave. in Washington DC is having a 25% off suit sale until Sunday. I have a vague recollection that this has been posted already, but a search didn't bring it up. Regardless, I wanted to post because I'm in DC, so I stopped to look earlier this evening and was very impressed by the selection. They have the usual large range of Oxxford and some HF suits, but I also found two Belvest suits and one Vestimenta in my (very rare) size alone. In addition, I found about 5-6 Canali sportscoats in my size. They also have a larger than usual selection of Brooks Brothers ties. Although the ties are irregulars, they are in much better shape than the selection I typically see at Marshalls. In fact, I couldn't detect the flaw in most of the BB ties I saw. Anyone in the area might want to stop in for a look.

Although it can be hard to find RTW suits in my size, I decided to forgo the Belvest suits (made for Louis Boston) since I recently bought 3 suits and the Belvest suits both had minor issues (one had shoulders that were too soft for me and the other was a slightly too dark charcoal). The Vestimenta's shoulders were also too soft and didn't flatter me. Unless I find an absolutely fantastic deal, I've decided that I'd rather save the money and commission a suit from a very good tailor I've found in La Jolla (thanks Full Canvas). Although I really need sportscoats, with one exception the Canali sportscoats in my size are 3-button and don't look good on me. The exception is very similar to a coat that I own, so I ended up buying no sportscoats either. Instead, I bought only 3 ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads