Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DC Filene's Basement -- Bergdorf's and Dom. Vacca

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Mar 15, 2006.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

Unbelievable haul in at the DC Filene's Basement stores. Connecticut Ave. has both Bergdorf Goodman and Domenico Vacca items. National Press has only Bergdorf. The stuff apparently came in yesterday.

Domenico Vacca items:
    - Attolini suits for $999 (I saw at least a dozen). Marked down from $4700. These are the real deal. Sizes across the range -- from 38-46. Only 2 or 3 in wool; 8 or 10 in cotton/cashmere blend (including 3 or so in corduroy); and 3 or 4 in linen.

- Attolini slacks for $149 (I saw only one -- it was my size too)

- Domenico Vacca label suits for $899. Marked down from $3800. The one I got is tan, in 95/5 cotton/cashmere.

- D-V label blazers. I saw at least one in 100% cashmere.

- D-V label casual shirts for $69 (some silk; some cotton; some linen. All amazing). Marked down from $250+.

- D-V label casual slacks. These looked to be made by two different makers -one looked clearly to be Incotex based on the interiors; the other I couldn't tell -- the labels looked like Attolini but there wasn't the same large amount of hand-work as on the Attolini label slacks). Note that all the D-V slacks were quite narrow - Borrelli-like. I tried on 5 or 6 pairs and came away with none. Marked down from $560 and $670.

- D-V label casual jackets. Some linen; some that were what I'd call a "Mac" (like a raincoat); some leather. All priced at $299-500. Marked down from $1500+.

- D-V label Bermuda shorts. These were awesome. Lots of handwork and amazing fabrics. Colorful wide-striped fabrics that reminded me of Turnbull & Asser. $69

Of the Vacca stuff, I came away with one Attolini suit and one Vacca suit, two Vacca shorts, plus the Attolini slacks.

BERGDORF GOODMAN stuff:

Suits: Not much. Some nice Zegna. A few Castagnia suits.
    Shirts: Here's where it's good. Loads and loads of Borrelli and Kiton -- both at $129.95. Lots of Charvet too for $99.
    Ties: Lots of Kiton and Garrick Anderson ties. Kiton are $69.
    Sweaters/casual shirts: Some really great Loro Piana shirts, including some LP rugby shirts that I nearly bought.

Of the BG items, I only bought a Charvet polo shirt (for $49!).

2. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

What kind of fabric/patterns do the Attolini suits have?

3. Dapper Dandy

Dapper Dandy Senior member

Thanks for the head's-up, kabert!

I was saving up for Chan, but this is very tempting indeed...

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

5. kabert

kabert Senior member

What kind of fabric/patterns do the Attolini suits have?

A handful in wool; 8-10 in cotton/cashmere blend; 3-4 in linen. The one I got is classic gray with off-white pinstripes. I think there were perhaps only 2 or 3 others in classic dark wool (gray or navy).

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Thanks for the update -- this looks like the haul of the year. In accordance with my new fiscal discipline, I plan to look at the menu but not order anything.

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

)(@#*%[email protected]#%*[email protected]%_)*@#[email protected]#(#_(%#%+)(!!!!!!!!

Pardon my French.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the BG shipment contained some Richard James items too. Mostly shirts in funky colors, but also at least one suit in size 46US (I was surprised by it, actually, in that the BG full-retail price on it was just $1,250).

9. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Thanks for the update -- this looks like the haul of the year. In accordance with my new fiscal discipline, I plan to look at the menu but not order anything.

Flip the Brioni suit and use the money to buy an Attolini suit.

10. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nice haul kabert! Unforunately, I doubt the NY stores will get the Vacca and BG merch as they generally don't let stores in the home market participate. We get Mario's, Seattle, Louis, Boston and Mitchell's/Richard's.

11. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Oh, I forgot to mention, the BG shipment contained some Richard James items too. Mostly shirts in funky colors, but also at least one suit in size 46US (I was surprised by it, actually, in that the BG full-retail price on it was just $1,250).
    I think that's Film Noir Buff's size...
    No RJ knits or cashmere then? Ah well.

12. von Rothbart

Nice haul kabert! Unforunately, I doubt the NY stores will get the Vacca and BG merch as they generally don't let stores in the home market participate. We get Mario's, Seattle, Louis, Boston and Mitchell's/Richard's.

Andrew, where did you find Mario's, Louis & Mitchell/Richards merch?

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

I think that's Film Noir Buff's size...
    No RJ knits or cashmere then? Ah well.

Nope, no RJ knits or cashmere that I recall.

14. von Rothbart

Kabert, you gotta post pictures of your haul. Pictures of you wearing the Attolini would be even better. I don't recall seeing any pictures of Attolini modeled by members.

Are the DV label suits made by Belvest?

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Andrew, where did you find Mario's, Louis & Mitchell/Richards merch?

6th ave and 18th: Louis, Mario's, Cuff's (Cuff's Clothing, Cleveland)
    Union Square: Mitchell's

Mostly overpriced stuff, but I saw a drop dead gorgeous windowpane suit at the 6th Ave store last weeknd during the sale. I think it was either $500 or $600 after discount. Can't remember maker or size. Think it was Corneliani, maybe 42R.