• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC (Dupont) casual restaurant recos?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Driving into DC tonight from Balty to meet up with an old friend who happens to be around. She's staying in the Dupont Circle area.

Any of the DC locals have any favorite casual spots in that area? I am looking for a sit-down dinner with decent, fun ambiance, as opposed to a burrito joint or something, but I'll also be with my wife and 2-year-old. Baby is a pretty good restaurant kid but I don't want white tablecloths and stiff upper lips. Pizzeria Paradiso is one I've heard recommended in the ancient past but I don't know if it's still up to the old reviews.

Also would have to be a place where I could get in reasonably at ~7:30 tonight, or be able to make a same-day rezzo.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find Dupont Circle annoyingly blah for food, and it's probably not the most kid friendly area either. If you want to stick to that neighborhood, Pizzeria Paradiso is a decent, casual spot, as you mentioned. I like Bistro du Coin for basic French. It can get a little lively and loud, so I don't know if that's a good or bad thing for a kid. Firefly has trendy American food and is a good option, but it may be a little grown-up.

Since you have your car, you can pick up your friend in Dupont and head up Mass. Ave. to Wisconsin Ave. There is Cafe Deluxe, which is a great place for kids. Good comfort food and reasonable prices. There are always families there with young kids. 2 Amys is another option just off Wisconsin. Excellent food, casual, and also family friendly. Both are probably just a 5 minute drive from Dupont.

There's also some solid restaurants on 14th Street, which is pretty close to Dupont. Estadio is a new Spanish Tapas place that's quite good, and I like Posto for casual Italian.

In my opinion, Cafe Deluxe is the best bet for going with a kid. It's a mix of American comfort and French bistro, and there are always kids there.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paradiso is still good--they renovated a couple ears ago and have more room. No reservations, I don't think, but on a Monday night you'd probably be OK.

Bistro du Coin for epcot centery but decent French

EDIT: zbromer's rec of Posto is good, too. Only been there a couple times but seems family friendly and the food is good.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pizzeria Paradiso off of P Street in Dupont is very good. Maybe Veritas wine bar (I haven't been but it gets good reviews). Front Page is actually nice for dinner when the bar isn't hopping (it's usually a meat market come Wednesday through Saturday past 9pm). I can't think of much else in that neighborhood. Oh yeah, maybe Darlington House. There are a whole bunch of restaurants on Connecticut Avenue walking north (so toward Russia House and Veritas), but I forget all their names.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Darlington House. I ate their a few weeks ago and enjoyed it a lot. Good food and atmosphere without being stuffy.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** forgot about Bistrot Du Coin. Love that place.

Maybe Casa Nonna. Haven't been but I've been hearing about it a lot since it opened (within past year or so).

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
There are a whole bunch of restaurants on Connecticut Avenue walking north (so toward Russia House and Veritas), but I forget all their names.

This captures the Dupont dining scene pretty well. There are a bunch of places, none of which are really that memorable.

I definitely like Bistro du Coin and have had some really good times there. Fun atmosphere, decent food. I just wish the food was a touch better. I'm not looking for great food, just a little better.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recos, guys. I checked almost all of them out on the web, and even ended up driving past a bunch of them but I settled on Cafe Deluxe for the patio and generally chill-seeming vibe. It was a good choice, as last night was a good one to sit outside and it worked very well for the kid.

Now I am fired up to try a couple of these places, though. We should do an SF dinner at Bistrot or Estadia.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody been to Sushi Taro on 17th and P lately? It used to be very good but I haven't been in about 3 years.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been since they completed their renovation, which was probably a few years ago now. In any event, I think Kushi is a good alternative. It's an izakaya (Japanese tapas, for lack of a better explanation) and sushi place. Bon Appetite just named it one of the best izakaya restaurants in the U.S.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was at Sushi Taro two summers ago. It was okay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads