Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DC Clothing Store Recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scnupe7, Apr 6, 2005.

1. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Can anyone DC Metro area residents list some good men's clothing stores for me?

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

Filene's Basement.

What kind of clothes are you looking for?

Dress? Casual? Funky? Preppy?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Sky Valet -- Best shoe store in the area. Wisconsin and R.

Everard's -- Two stores up. Very expensive accessories, but nice stuff.

Field Bespoke Tailor -- One store down. Best tailor in the area.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but earlier this year I did this review of DC shopping. Â One caveat: Â I am not that familiar with the boutique clothing stores in the area.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Actually, I was looking for some stores that offer MTM. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the run down on everything.

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I've heard good things about Highcliff Clothiers on 20th Street (I think) but never made it over there, myself. Supposedly they do a lot of MTM. Backbone of their business, I've heard.

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

Do you want MTM by the high-end makes, such as Kiton, Isaia, Oxxford? Hickey Freeman perhaps? If so, then Neiman-Marcus is the place to go. Saks maybe also.

If you want a semi-custom piece, then someplace like Highcliffe or Geoffrey Lewis might suit you. I think these places (Geoffrey Lewis anyway) let you pick out the fabric you want from swatchbooks and let you pick out the features you want (# buttons, vents, buttons, etc.), they then take your measurements and send all the info to an outsourced suitmaker. A month or so later, your suit will be completed and will show up in a big box at the store for you to take home. I don't think they have separate interim fittings. You're likely to get a product that fits you very well but don't expect much handwork or "love."

Whatever you do, you might want to consider Fields. You can go full-custom with them for about $2,300 I think. By the way, I've often felt as though I can get close to MTM fit by taking my RTW suits and coats to Fields. They re-work things beautifully -- a nip here, a tuck there -- and are great at making suggestions. Usually, I just walk in and say -- What do you think? They recommend x, y and z, and I just go along for the ride. They've never let me down. I never even bother asking what various alterations would cost before they do them as I know, in general, they are not cheap but are a good value for the super service and, yes, love.

8. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Kabert

What do you know about Geoffrey Lewis? I went there today to have some trousers made.

9. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've never had them do anything other than alterations for me. But, they've done a ton of those -- everything from basic cuffs and waist alterations to overcoats, blazers, suits and even working buttonholes on a couple of suits. I have on many an occasion admired their many fabrics available for slacks, suits, jackets and shirts, but have never pulled the trigger. I think there are three employees -- husband and wife (Angelo and his wife) and a younger guy who seems like an apprentice of sorts and is very friendly.

10. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

AC, Your review will be very helpful as I learn my way around. Â Thanks