DC/Bethesda Tailor Comparisons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gumercindo, Jun 8, 2009.

1. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Hi there:

I have used Field Tailor down in GTown before and he is excellent, albeit a bit pricey. It's kind of a pain for me to get down there since I'm in Rockville, so I was wondering how a place like Bethesda Custom Tailor or Jerry's Tailoring and Haberdash compares in terms of price and quality. I am going in to do some minor work on some nice sportscoats I have.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Hi there:

I have used Field Tailor down in GTown before and he is excellent, albeit a bit pricey. It's kind of a pain for me to get down there since I'm in Rockville, so I was wondering how a place like Bethesda Custom Tailor or Jerry's Tailoring and Haberdash compares in terms of price and quality. I am going in to do some minor work on some nice sportscoats I have.

London Tailor on Wisconsin in Bethesda. He does bespoke so he knows what he's doing. His wife does most of the translating so you have to be patient. Also, be sure to specify the lengths very carefully since he tends to do the default american too long hems.

3. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Thanks. I've heard good things about it, but the whole language barrier issue is worriesome. Any experience with Jerry's or BCT?

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Thanks. I've heard good things about it, but the whole language barrier issue is worriesome. Any experience with Jerry's or BCT?

No, he was the first guy i used in the area and I stuck with him.

5. drducky

drducky Senior member

similar problem coming from Baltimore
    I "outgrew" my local alterations guy (who I think did alterations for one of the department stores and/or Jos Bank) and used Wm Field for a pair of suits and a jacket
    while it was more than I expected (even expecting him to be pricey), my wife says "wow" whenever I wear one of those items, so I'm hooked
    FYI, Victor Pascal custom tailor in downtown Baltimore does alterations only for his established customers

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

When I was growing up in Potomac I had a great Tailor. He and his wife were both Auschwitz survivors and lived right across from Churchill H.S. They were quite old when I was young (1980's) so I am sure they are gone now. However, he was old world and he knew what he was doing. They also had the cleanest, most sanitary house I have ever seen...but that is understandable. Nice old couple.

Mike

7. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Hi there:

I have used Field Tailor down in GTown before and he is excellent, albeit a bit pricey.

Out of curiosity, what's the price range like for a suit with Field Tailor? Thanks!

8. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I need a tailor that can shorten the collar on this Marni shirt maybe 1.5 inches. Is that an easy alteration?

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Growing up, we always used Montgomery Tailors at Montgomery Mall. They always did competent alterations work pretty expediently, but they were not the cheapest and I didn't know as much then as I do now.

10. stingray1381

stingray1381 Senior member

I asked Mr. Field once when I was in for alterations, and he said $3000. I didn't ask him to elaborate because even if he had a price range, it probably wasn't going to be the sam as mine.

11. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Growing up, we always used Montgomery Tailors at Montgomery Mall. They always did competent alterations work pretty expediently, but they were not the cheapest and I didn't know as much then as I do now.

I've used them a bunch of times too. They are good people. I just don't want to go all the way out there and would prefer some place more metro accessible. Plus, the lady always patted my tummy and told me I was too picky.

12. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

I asked Mr. Field once when I was in for alterations, and he said $3000. I didn't ask him to elaborate because even if he had a price range, it probably wasn't going to be the sam as mine.

Thanks for the info. $3000 sounds reasonable, if it's real bespoke. With the weak pound recently, that's what one would pay for a two-piece suit by Thomas Mahon.

13. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Senior member

I also have Will Field do my suit alterations and while he is fantastic, he is pricey. I suppose when you are a top notch bespoke tailor doing alterations, opportunity cost is a genuine factor.

I am still on the hunt for a good local alterations tailor. My neighborhood Korean dry cleaner is overpriced for simple stuff, but overall is solid on hems as far as quality is concerned. When I drop my stuff off I go early in the morning and wear a similar item and say "do it just like this." Even then, I always try on at pick-up and have about a 50% fix factor. It is frustrating.

If anyone has an in-town DC alterations tailor, I am all ears. I'd love to find someone that isn't as expensive as Will who can do collar work and waist suppression.

Sorry if this is a thread hi-jack.

14. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion Active Member

Let's keep this thread alive as I just had two of my shirts altered in McLean, VA. They haven't come back to me, I hope it turns out well.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Let's keep this thread alive as I just had two of my shirts altered in McLean, VA. They haven't come back to me, I hope it turns out well.

Did you use the shop at Tyson's II? I understand they're very good.