• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Attire

Zach Graves

Reaction score
I'm a Los Angeles native doing a paid research internship for 5 months this Spring in DC at a well known think tank. Its business attire during the week (suit and tie). Will have to get a new suit or two, maybe another pair of Allen Edmonds, probably some kind of winter wear.Any general advice or tips about DC culture and fashion would be much appreciated!

worship.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People would give you the impression it's terribly conservative - i'd say it's unimaginative. But I know plenty of guys in conservative offices that still rock great clothes. PM ctrlaltelite as he does a very good job of it.

My $2.00: buy good looking things. It really doesn't matter what brand name it is (few people would care), but make sure it fits you. I don't know what exact office you'll be working at but fridays are quite casual here so you could certainly get away with a nice pair of dark jeans, cotton trousers with a nice shirt and or sweater. Really the rules are the same regardless of city - particularly if you are in a relatively serious career.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like NY but less inspired and worn by pudgier wasps.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on your budget...

95% of DC style is awful. very conservative business attire. i agree that no one sees/knows labels so get whatever you can afford that fits and looks good. i assume since this is an internship, your still a student (undergrad?)

if its a well known think tank, they may be pretty uptight on how you dress. i see students with some style and a few congressional interns with some flair but again vast majority look boring. theres a few young lawyers at biglaw firms, especially the one i worked at this summer, that are changing it but its gradual.

fridays most places is business casual and some that allow jeans

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh and spring is fine but if you end up staying through summer dress LIGHT ... its so freakin hot and humid and in business attire its awful especially on crammed metros

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
People would give you the impression it's terribly conservative - i'd say it's unimaginative. .
This just about sums up everything I believe about DC culture in general. Thank your for sharing your insight in such a concise manner.

WSW

Reaction score
I personally have not seen as many standout outfits here as I have in New York. Once in a while you'll get someone with a decently fitted suit but besides that it's usually drab and uniform. And shoes, haven't seen a decent pair yet.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in a TT you won't have to worry about what you're wearing so much. Now if you were joining a lobbying firm.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as an intern, it's important to overdress so that everyone knows how well off your family is

DC is cool, f the haters

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh i love dc ... not a hater. if i can help it im going to practice and live in DC for life

because fashion is so bad, its easier to stand out. i like VISITING nyc but could never live there again. too crazy and crowded. DC is the best city life in terms of decent size and things to do and lifestyle. not AS expensive as other places as well, but def not cheap.

although shopping sucks, but you can always do online

Zach Graves

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'll keep your comments in mind.

Thoughts about colors? Here in LA it is pretty casual; people wear whatever they want regardless of the season, formality of setting, etc.

Suits in colors other than gray/black/navy? Shirts in colors other than white/blue? Braces? Suggestions for casual Friday?

I believe the internship is mixed between grad and undergrad, but it could be just us grad students. They place a number of different kinds of internships differently, including a number of lawyers in training.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only well-dressed guy in DC. It's so drab, conservative and predictable. No style or personality here. Sorry! (But it is a great town
smile.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads