• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Area Tailor / Selvedge Denim

brasil

Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of archive searching, and I didn't get a concrete answer on the matter. I have a pair of raw selvedge denim and I need to get them tapered. Can someone recommend a tailor in the Metro DC/VA/MD area?

I called Denim Bar and they referred me to Hamza Simrick, but I would like to know if anyone has a different recommendation or experience with Hamza Simrick. (Even though, I take Denim Bar's word on this rec)

Also, what was the average price you payed to have a pair of selvedge denim tapered? As well as the time it took for the job to be completed?

Any help is great, Thanks in advance.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an uncommon route among SF members. Usually you'll end up disappointed and unable to sell them because they've been altered. It's better to sell and search for a brand that fits you well.

brasil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
This is an uncommon route among SF members. Usually you'll end up disappointed and unable to sell them because they've been altered. It's better to sell and search for a brand that fits you well.

Normally, I would do this..but it's just a pair of UO Unbranded that I was curious enough to buy and see what happens. So honestly I wouldn't mind to much if it wasn't perfect..it's an experiment but I would rather pay for someone who knows what they are doing. The fit is fine, just the leg openings are too big for my tastes.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone that the denim bar points you to is probably going to be the best that you can get. From what I know, a decent amount of people get their jeans tapered, with varying levels of success. With some plain old UO jeans, why not? I estimate my tailor here in Boston could do it for $20ish or so, but prices will definitely vary.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah hamza is good. used him before on a crotch blowout and he did a great job.

however he is getting pretty old and takes a long time to get stuff done and i dont know how much longer he will be doing what hes doing so FYI

brasil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Someone that the denim bar points you to is probably going to be the best that you can get. From what I know, a decent amount of people get their jeans tapered, with varying levels of success. With some plain old UO jeans, why not? I estimate my tailor here in Boston could do it for $20ish or so, but prices will definitely vary.

Yeah, I figured it wasn't a huge purchase and the investment could turn out to be pretty good. Judging from some of the evolution pics I have seen of their Unbranded

Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah hamza is good. used him before on a crotch blowout and he did a great job.

however he is getting pretty old and takes a long time to get stuff done and i dont know how much longer he will be doing what hes doing so FYI

Thanks a lot, I'm going to definitely check him out soon then. Do you remember anything price wise?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry no idea. i want to say around 20-25 but it was like 1-2 years ago so cant remember

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you care that it's salvage? when tapering pants, the results are best if the taper comes from both seams (inseam and outseam).

with salvage construction the outseam is more or less completely straight. in order to keep the salvage in tact you will have to taper only on the inseam. keep that in mind.

brasil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by giraffe lookout
The guys at Commonwealth all use the same woman. You'd have to ask them who it is though. If that helps.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by wEstSidE
do you care that it's salvage? when tapering pants, the results are best if the taper comes from both seams (inseam and outseam).

with salvage construction the outseam is more or less completely straight. in order to keep the salvage in tact you will have to taper only on the inseam. keep that in mind.

Not really, I just want them tapered. My concern was I don't want a **** job, and I've heard in the past that people with Selvedge denim have to go to someone who knows how to work with it. To be honest, I'm not to educated on this matter..which is really why I came here. I don't mind paying more to get a better job done, before all my tailoring needs were taken care of from a dry cleaners my Mother worked at in Florida but now it's not going to work out.

shimjohn

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads