Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DB Tuxedo Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CommercialDoc, Aug 1, 2006.

1. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

I have a double breasted tuxedo/peak lapel and I now have my first opportunity to wear it this weekend. I have neither a vest nor a cummerbund to go with it but can pick one up this week. Do I need to wear either a vest or cummerbund with a DB tux? Which would look better? I kind of like the clean waist look with a cummerbund. Any advice?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I have a double breasted tuxedo/peak lapel and I now have my first opportunity to wear it this weekend. I have neither a vest nor a cummerbund to go with it but can pick one up this week. Do I need to wear either a vest or cummerbund with a DB tux? Which would look better? I kind of like the clean waist look with a cummerbund. Any advice?

My understanding is that if you wear a DB, no vest or cummerbund is needed. although I'm not sure if you can optionally wear a vest or cummerbund.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Neither. The "clean waist" look should not be an issue because, to my understanding, the jacket of a DB should never be worn open.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

If anything, go with a vest. But I don't think you need it. What style is it, 4x1? Satin or regular buttons?

5. CommercialDoc

2x2 i think. Satin RLPL found at SOF.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nobody will see either one unless you open your jacket. And you won't do that--- right?

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Most formal vests I've seen are high cut enough that you'll see them with a DB. CD: A 2x2 isn't possible. That would be a single breasted two button. Do you mean a 2x1? The first number is how many buttons are on the front, the second is how many of them actually close the jacket. [EDIT] Is this your suit? This is a 4x2.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Formal waistcoats should be low enough as to not be seen if worn under a DB. Not that I advocate the combination.

Do not wear either. Just keep the jacket buttoned.

9. CommercialDoc

That is my suit Jovan. Well the same 4x2 RLPL, not the exact one.

I think I will merely wear a shirt w/ it as the forum has spoken. No need for a vest or cummerbund.

10. bklyn5

bklyn5 Member

You should not wear a vest with a DB tuxedo. If you won't be opening your jacket or taking it off, why have the extra layer of clothes anyway. If anything, I would just wear a cummberbund.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

You should not wear a vest with a DB tuxedo. If you won't be opening your jacket or taking it off, why have the extra layer of clothes anyway. If anything, I would just wear a cummberbund.

I'm sure now that the occasion is 2 YEARS PAST he'll care a lot.