DB Tuxedo Question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CommercialDoc, Aug 1, 2006.

1. CommercialDoc

CommercialDoc Senior member

I have a double breasted tuxedo/peak lapel and I now have my first opportunity to wear it this weekend. I have neither a vest nor a cummerbund to go with it but can pick one up this week. Do I need to wear either a vest or cummerbund with a DB tux? Which would look better? I kind of like the clean waist look with a cummerbund. Any advice?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I have a double breasted tuxedo/peak lapel and I now have my first opportunity to wear it this weekend. I have neither a vest nor a cummerbund to go with it but can pick one up this week. Do I need to wear either a vest or cummerbund with a DB tux? Which would look better? I kind of like the clean waist look with a cummerbund. Any advice?

My understanding is that if you wear a DB, no vest or cummerbund is needed. although I'm not sure if you can optionally wear a vest or cummerbund.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Neither. The "clean waist" look should not be an issue because, to my understanding, the jacket of a DB should never be worn open.

4. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

If anything, go with a vest. But I don't think you need it. What style is it, 4x1? Satin or regular buttons?

5. CommercialDoc

2x2 i think. Satin RLPL found at SOF.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nobody will see either one unless you open your jacket. And you won't do that--- right?

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Most formal vests I've seen are high cut enough that you'll see them with a DB. CD: A 2x2 isn't possible. That would be a single breasted two button. Do you mean a 2x1? The first number is how many buttons are on the front, the second is how many of them actually close the jacket. [EDIT] Is this your suit? This is a 4x2.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Formal waistcoats should be low enough as to not be seen if worn under a DB. Not that I advocate the combination.

Do not wear either. Just keep the jacket buttoned.

9. CommercialDoc

That is my suit Jovan. Well the same 4x2 RLPL, not the exact one.

I think I will merely wear a shirt w/ it as the forum has spoken. No need for a vest or cummerbund.

10. bklyn5

bklyn5 Member

You should not wear a vest with a DB tuxedo. If you won't be opening your jacket or taking it off, why have the extra layer of clothes anyway. If anything, I would just wear a cummberbund.

11. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

You should not wear a vest with a DB tuxedo. If you won't be opening your jacket or taking it off, why have the extra layer of clothes anyway. If anything, I would just wear a cummberbund.

I'm sure now that the occasion is 2 YEARS PAST he'll care a lot.