• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB Tuxedo - Flapped or Jetted Pockets?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was evaluating my old tuxedo recently for the first time in a while, and found I no longer appreciated the jetted pockets. When I did a search here, I was extremely surprised to find that the few comments I found indicated a distinct preference for jetted vs. flapped pockets on a tuxedo. But on this DB for example (it's not mine), I think the flapped pockets look far better than jetted would.

Am I alone on this?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe "The Rules" specify that only jetted pockets are appropriate on a tuxedo. I'm willing to be corrected by those with more knowledge/experience than I.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why couldn't one just tuck the flap pockets?

Although, in abstract, I do agree that jetted looks better simply because it's sleeker. Same reason you don't get ticket pockets on DJs.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Dinner jacket pockets do not have flaps unless they also have notched lapels. In other words, a style no-no.

My American RTW dinner jacket is from 1932 and is in all respects standard: peak lapel, no vent, with the exception of it having flapped pockets. This may, however, be due to its being only a # 2 or 3 grade suit and flapped pockets being cheaper to manufacture.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Rules notwithstanding, I'm a little surprised that so many people feel that the pictured DJ would look better with jetted pockets. Flapped pockets just seem more 'classic' to me for some reason. Particularly on a DB, where they lend some visual counterbalance to the prominent lapels. I can understand the premise of seeking the sleekest possible look, but in that instance, I think I'd probably just opt for an SB.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions.

Originally Posted by summej2
My American RTW dinner jacket is from 1932 and is in all respects standard: peak lapel, no vent, with the exception of it having flapped pockets. This may, however, be due to its being only a # 2 or 3 grade suit and flapped pockets being cheaper to manufacture.

Flapped pockets really are cheaper to manufacture? Why is that? Tuck it in, and you essentially have a jetted pocket, so how does a jetted pocket actually require more workmanship than a flap?
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For the sake of argument...

flapjetsq7.jpg

The full shot was too dark to work with.

BTW, my DB peacoat with huge lapels has non-flapped pockets, and I've never thought it looked odd.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
For the sake of argument...

flapjetsq7.jpg

The full shot was too dark to work with.

BTW, my DB peacoat with huge lapels has non-flapped pockets, and I've never thought it looked odd.

Nice. Send your resume to Reuters.
devil.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Nice. Send your resume to Reuters.
devil.gif

biggrin.gif

Israeli tuxedo with both flapped AND jetted pockets! Film at 11.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk

Flapped pockets really are cheaper to manufacture? Why is that? Tuck it in, and you essentially have a jetted pocket, so how does a jetted pocket actually require more workmanship than a flap?
confused.gif

Flapped pockets need not be besom pockets (i.e., with a welt around the opening) and thus require less time to make, whereas a jetted pocket is always (at least as far as I have seen) a besom pocket.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Flapped pockets need not be besom pockets (i.e., with a welt around the opening) and thus require less time to make, whereas a jetted pocket is always (at least as far as I have seen) a besom pocket.

Ah, flap with no welt. *Yikes!* Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads