Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DB Tuxedo - Flapped or Jetted Pockets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quirk, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I was evaluating my old tuxedo recently for the first time in a while, and found I no longer appreciated the jetted pockets. When I did a search here, I was extremely surprised to find that the few comments I found indicated a distinct preference for jetted vs. flapped pockets on a tuxedo. But on this DB for example (it's not mine), I think the flapped pockets look far better than jetted would.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Am I alone on this?

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

I believe "The Rules" specify that only jetted pockets are appropriate on a tuxedo. I'm willing to be corrected by those with more knowledge/experience than I.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Why couldn't one just tuck the flap pockets?

Although, in abstract, I do agree that jetted looks better simply because it's sleeker. Same reason you don't get ticket pockets on DJs.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't care for jetted pockets in general, but am a traditionalist when it comes to dinner jackets. As such, no flaps.

6. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dinner jacket pockets do not have flaps unless they also have notched lapels. In other words, a style no-no.

7. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Dinner jacket pockets do not have flaps unless they also have notched lapels. In other words, a style no-no.

My American RTW dinner jacket is from 1932 and is in all respects standard: peak lapel, no vent, with the exception of it having flapped pockets. This may, however, be due to its being only a # 2 or 3 grade suit and flapped pockets being cheaper to manufacture.

8. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Interesting. Rules notwithstanding, I'm a little surprised that so many people feel that the pictured DJ would look better with jetted pockets. Flapped pockets just seem more 'classic' to me for some reason. Particularly on a DB, where they lend some visual counterbalance to the prominent lapels. I can understand the premise of seeking the sleekest possible look, but in that instance, I think I'd probably just opt for an SB.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions.

My American RTW dinner jacket is from 1932 and is in all respects standard: peak lapel, no vent, with the exception of it having flapped pockets. This may, however, be due to its being only a # 2 or 3 grade suit and flapped pockets being cheaper to manufacture.

Flapped pockets really are cheaper to manufacture? Why is that? Tuck it in, and you essentially have a jetted pocket, so how does a jetted pocket actually require more workmanship than a flap? [​IMG]

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

For the sake of argument...

[​IMG]

The full shot was too dark to work with.

BTW, my DB peacoat with huge lapels has non-flapped pockets, and I've never thought it looked odd.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You can always have them removed.

11. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

For the sake of argument...

[​IMG]

The full shot was too dark to work with.

BTW, my DB peacoat with huge lapels has non-flapped pockets, and I've never thought it looked odd.

Nice. Send your resume to Reuters. [​IMG]

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Nice. Send your resume to Reuters. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Israeli tuxedo with both flapped AND jetted pockets! Film at 11.

13. summej2

summej2 Senior member

Flapped pockets really are cheaper to manufacture? Why is that? Tuck it in, and you essentially have a jetted pocket, so how does a jetted pocket actually require more workmanship than a flap? [​IMG]

Flapped pockets need not be besom pockets (i.e., with a welt around the opening) and thus require less time to make, whereas a jetted pocket is always (at least as far as I have seen) a besom pocket.

14. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Flapped pockets need not be besom pockets (i.e., with a welt around the opening) and thus require less time to make, whereas a jetted pocket is always (at least as far as I have seen) a besom pocket.

Ah, flap with no welt. *Yikes!* Anyway, thanks for the explanation.