• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DB/Tailoring question

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 6 button, DB blazer on eaby, only to discover that the only real button hole (aside from the interior button) is the bottom. It looks utterly ridiculous when I buton just the inside button, yet I hate the look of having the bottom button closed.

Has anyone here ever had a button-hole added, and if so, how much did it cost? Is this something tailors typically do?

I apologize for making a separate thread, but I seem to have broken the Q/A thread with my question.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it roll? if it rolls naturally to the bottom you're probably SOL, but if it rolls to the second button you should be okay.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's made to be a 6x1 then I can't imagine the results of forcing it to 6x2 will be very good.

As for whether a button-hole can be added, it's certainly not impossible, but it requires more than stitching a button-hole; there really needs to be a square of reinforcement (silesia pocketing or something similar) behind the hole to stop it stretching out of shape.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have a 3X1 style, I think it is called a Kent DB. You can know for sure if the buttons are in a V line rather than the middle and bottom button running parallel on the vertical line to each other. To change to a 3X2 you need to make the collar longer to make the lapel roll to the middle button. Another issue will be the outside curved edge of the lapel. The lapel is shaped to the lower button and the edge would need to be recut/reshaped to the middle button to look authentic. If the lower buttonhole is handmade you can match it pretty close, if it is machine made you have to find someone with a buttonhole machine or remake the old buttonhole to match the new one.

or...Add the middle buttonhole and wear it buttoned to the lower button as if you are wearing a 3 roll 1 DB, or flip it and have a discerning eye next go around.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cut off the top row, and you've got a 4x1.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.

I got home and checked it out, and the lapel definitely rolls to the 3rd button. I'm just going to wear it as a 6X1. If I had actually paid anything for this, I'd flip. . It really is in fantastic shape. The shoulder and sleeve is fit is perfect. With a little tailoring, it's going to look great on me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's