• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB jacket proportions - lapel width & button position

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
Easy: they aren't. Which is why Foo's 'nacci's are a pale imitation of Real Thing that was being made when london house's tailor was still panico...

Wow. That's good...I'm impressed.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Was the modified version close to what you were envisioning? I've been playing with the idea of a lower DB buttoning point myself.

Yes, I think you nailed it. In the foofed version I see more harmony between the styling elements, lapel, pockets, buttons. The upper torso looks longer and broader. The styling elements sort of disappear, whereas in the other version every element draws attention to itself by its placement and position in relation to the jacket. To me you want to have visual impact from the cut/ balance and proportion of a DB not from eccentric pocket, button and lapel styling and placement. The foofed version may appear more conventional but it allows for the cut of the jacket to prevail.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Thank you. Apparently, at one stage of a Jheeta fitting, you are garlanded with the most fragrant flowers and ride in on a noble, white steed.

- B

It is said that the jewellers from Paris who came to India to repair the maharaja's Cartier jewellery use to ride in Rolls Royces and 2 dancing girls were sent to their chambers at night for entertainment.

Glad to see that the Indian tradition of hospitality and graciousness is not dead and lives on at Paul Jheeta

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. Apparently, at one stage of a Jheeta fitting, you are garlanded with the most fragrant flowers and ride in on a noble, white steed.

This is evocative of the old days when Huntsman would fit your riding clothes while you were astride a sawhorse.

Despos still maintains this tradition. A strap hangs from the ceiling n one of his many three-way mirrors so h can fit you perfectly for standing on in a train going to Cubs home game.

- B

And on DB's clients insist that the Cub's logo on the t shirt be visible when the jacket is buttoned. I do what I can with what I am given.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
It is said that the jewellers from Paris who came to India to repair the maharaja's Cartier jewellery use to ride in Rolls Royces and 2 dancing girls were sent to their chambers at night for entertainment.

Glad to see that the Indian tradition of hospitality and graciousness is not dead and lives on at Paul Jheeta

I prefer 3 dancing girls. It's more better.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at one stage of a Jheeta fitting, you are garlanded with the most fragrant flowers and ride in on a noble, white steed.

- B

Make sure you share with us your specifics at this fitting, like the ones Bourdain got around minutes 2:10 . . .

worship.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- M

In all seriousness, if my consumer senses of the London tailoring world is correct, Mr. Jheeta and his tailors will soon be the ones producing great works out of there, if not already.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What is the reason that in some of the DBs including one of Rubinacci's whose pic is attached below the lapel does not cover any part of the pocket. Is the width of the lape or the placement of the pocket.
p1010500y.jpg
Does the lapel in your DB cover part of the breast pocket when it is buttoned at the center button ?

That's whnay's jacket. If you look at him wearing his Rubinacci DB jackets in photos, the lapel does overlap the breast pocket. I think the reason it doesn't in that picture is because of the way he'd laid it down for the photo (the inside lapel is pulled inward further than it would be when worn). Yes, my lapels do overlap my breast pockets.
Originally Posted by jamesbond
It's also quite convenient for you to say that you just wanted to look like any old Ivy League shmuck. Certaintly Neapolitan tailoring isn't Ivy League, you could simply go to brooks or jpress and get a tweed sack if thats the look your truly claiming to want.
You would be right if: (1) I wanted to dressy purely Ivy League (I have never said that), and (2) if J. Press or Brooks still did sacks the old way. I have expressed admiration for various aspects of Ivy League and American Trad style many times. But I never said I wanted to dress in it exclusively. It's interesting the number of times people criticize me for stupidly going about doing something I've never said I wanted to do. It's a very FNB mode of argument.
FWIW Matty looks 100x better in his Rubi's then you do so I think its fair to question and or critisize your choice of tailors. Especially since they're so similar to Matt's and you did contact him regarding it and possibly even brought a picture of him to Rubi, or am I wrong? It wouldn't be far from what DTO did to PG. In the same way that DTO doesn't look as good as PG in the same clothes, you don't look as good as Matt in the same clothes.
Maybe you think Matt looks better, but I prefer my own clothes and style. I picked them for a reason, after all. Anyway, to most people, Matt will always look better. People with my body and appearance are often considered unattractive regardless of how they are dressed. No, I never showed a picture of Matt to Rubinacci. Moreover, within the range of what Rubinacci does, I don't think you could sensibly call my clothes copies of his. They are clearly Rubinacci, yes. But as far as suits go, they are far from clones. Consider, for example, the shoulder extension, chest drape, and gorge differences. I believe Matt has a bit of shoulder extension, while I have virtually none--you can kind of tell by looking at how our sleeves drop off differently. Perhaps because he has more extension, the drape between his chest and shoulders is usually far more pronounced than what I have. Then there is the gorge. Mine is a bit higher than his, though his is still more high than low. These differences may be fine, but so are all the differences we discuss on this forum.
What annoys me is that you come off as this overly experienced, overly knowledgable bespoke customer when in reality you have used only one bespoke tailor that you had 1 or maybe 2 fittings with and conducted the rest of your orders via telephone yet you continue to try and lawyerly talk your way around every single point people make even though some of them are way more experienced with the bespoke process then you are.
First of all, I don't use my "expertise" to prove any points and I don't expect anyone to believe me just because I say so. What you call "lawyerly talk" is simply reasoning. Take, for example, my debate with apropos in this thread. You don't need expertise to argue my points. In fact, he is the one making much larger and bolder statements about tailoring while not being a tailor. That I am eager to disprove them has little to do with any special knowledge on my part--it's mostly basic logic combined with simple observations that I have clearly laid out and which have largely gone unquestioned. Second, you are flatly wrong about my experience with Rubinacci. I had three fittings for my first jacket alone. Every other garment underwent one fitting. Even my dinner jacket, which I took delivery of without a fitting, was later adjusted in a fitting with Luca during one of his New York visits. The reason why I take the time to reply point-by-point to posts such as yours is that the mischaracterizations they spread tend to become forum truth and impede my enjoyment here. It takes a lot of words to reset the record--if you don't want me to use them, try reading me more carefully.

riverrun

Reaction score
Wow. That's good...I'm impressed.

- B

Pls stop derailing my attempts to derail this thread, thx.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your going to leave Bijan? Can you ask Chan if they will copy the Bijan style for me? Ok, thanks.

I am like a man with two passports: one will always be the nation of Teh Bijan.

Bijanian forever!

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
Pls stop derailing my attempts to derail this thread, thx.

I was only admiring your deep insight.

I like to think that you would take over once I perish in this thread, like Riff handing the jacknife to Tony, but with better shoes.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You would be right if: (1) I wanted to dressy purely Ivy League (I have never said that), and (2) if J. Press or Brooks still did sacks the old way.

I have expressed admiration for various aspects of Ivy League and American Trad style many times.

There is no pure Ivy League. There are, however, pure major Ivy and pure minor Ivy.

AFAIK, the latter does involve creased AE seconds. Saphir Renovateur, a foreign product, can help with this, but get the kind that is 15 SPF.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is no pure Ivy League. There are, however, pure major Ivy and pure minor Ivy.

Are you saying that Brown is a lesser version of Harvard? Bastard.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't name names.

I suspect that you have summoned by RJman and tomasso at the same time, however, a difficult feat.

- B

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You guys all look the same to me.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads