David Fin - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DavidFin, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DavidFin

DavidFin Affiliate Vendor

Hello Gentlemen,

My name is David and I'm the designer behind the new luxury necktie brand David Fin (www.davidfin.com) .
    David Fin is neckwear for gentlemen of all ages. Fabric from Italy, proudly made by hand in NYC.

Growing up wearing luxury ties all my life and paying attention to quality and price has lead me to build this brand. Our motto is simple:

LOOK GOOD , FEEL GOOD, DO GOOD

LOOK GOOD- David Fin neckties are created with the finest textiles sourced from the top mills in Como, Italy. Designed and crafted in timeless fashion, each tie is handmade in New York City.

FEEL GOOD- American Luxury brought directly to you. That is the Fin Way. Because our curated collection is exclusive to Davidfin.com, we are able to deliver quality and savings unmatched by any other luxury brand.

DO GOOD- Simply put, each tie sold will help benefit american veterans find a meaningful job

FREE SHIPPING AND FREE RETURNS

I encourage you to view our website to read more in detail about the quality of our ties, from our fabrics to the interlinings and manufacturing techniques we use. Our mission of helping vets find jobs is pretty cool too!

I love to engage with directly with our customers, especially all of you on this forum who enjoy well made luxury clothing. Please feel free to reach out with any questions or comments you may have about our brand or products. I can be reached directly at [email protected]

I truly hope you will enjoy putting on your new David Fin tie shortly.

best,

David

www.davidfin.com

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Welcome! Always happy to have more ties available.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. DavidFin

thanks for the kind words. What kind of ties do you favor? (material,style,dimensions) @Claghorn

4. DavidFin

Good Evening Gentlemen,

I wanted to share with you a bit of the detail that goes into making a David Fin tie.

David Fin fabric- We all know there are several amazing mills throughout the world especially in ITALY & ENGLAND. I chose to go exclusively with Como, Italy . Fortunately, i can visit Como several times a year which gives me the ability to really dive deep into relationships with the top mills and spend ample time sourcing the best fabrics without jumping to different countries or do business from abroad. I really appreciate the old school style Como's mills offer and the brand likes to play into that.

Lining- I personally think this is one of the most neglected parts of the tie especially by startup tie companies. I scoured all the american tie factories and couldn't find a lining i was happy with. I wasn't happy with the shapes or fabric content. I even had a hard time finding what i liked with some of the popular italian vendors who export linings. I decided to go to the best and visited the lining maker for luxury brands BRIONI, MARINELLA and the like. We developed a custom shaped 100% wool lining . The lining taper yields a 3.25 inch bottom while still making a beautiful full knot. This is one of our strongest selling points and something people love about our ties.

Manufacturing - We decided to hand make our ties in NYC so we can have the best quality control and stay ontop of the full tie making process from A to Z. There are several local manufacturer options but as they say " you get what you pay for", so we decided to go for the best. All our ties are FULLY HANDMADE without any compromises.

You can watch a short video of our tie making process below:
    ENJOY!

[​IMG]

www.davidfin.com

5. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Welcome, as a vet, i appreciate your mission.

6. DavidFin

Thanks @gyasih , We are very proud and passionate about helping vets find jobs with every tie sold. We believe strongly in the connection of what a tie symbalizes and holding a job. We have already helped 10 veterans find jobs through Hiring our Heroes and look forward to helping many more as the company grows.

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Happy to have you guys on board. I'm a veteran.....thanks for what you are doing.

8. Claghorn

I had actually initially asked about the lining; when I went over your site more thoroughly, I saw that you had addressed it and amended my initial post to a simple welcome.

What do I like in a tie....what an expansive question. I like brown in a tie, that's for damn sure. And texture. And weave (which can contribute to texture). I dislike the current trend in smashing all three together (slubby patterned grenadines). Just seems like too much.

A thorough answer to your expansive question (which I appreciate. I appreciate any opportunity to discuss ties):

[​IMG]
    7 fold grenadine in burgundy. I'm not a huge fan of solid ties without some textural interest. A grenadine fina provides the minimum in textural interest for me.

[​IMG]
    Three fold green neat. It should be too busy for me, but that shade of green just really works for me. And the floret color make it easy to tie into pocket squares (so I guess that's an important feature in a tie).

[​IMG]
    An olive neat, 7 fold. I actually traded a bottle of Korean liquor for this. The red dots make it easy to tie in with other elements of what I'm wearing. And olive is just a nice color.

[​IMG]
    3 fold wool. This might be the perfect tie. A twist on an old standard (pin dot). Very fine wool gives a hint of textural interest and the beige dots to brown ground a more subtle contrast than the traditional white dot (which would be weird on wool anyway)

[​IMG]
    I like slubby stripes. I have no idea why. But slubby stripes outnumber regular stripes by at least four to one.

[​IMG]
    . Another twist on a classic (navy pindot). And of course, it ties a beautiful knot. Which is all about lining.

[​IMG]
    Very nice lining and the silk itself has a beautiful handle. Doesn't affect wearing, but it makes it a joy to put on. And that is a factor sometimes.
    I like neats, clearly. I think it's because they provide interest without being overwhelming, and the additional colors allow the tie to be tied in with other elements of the outfit fairly easily. Mostly my favorite ties make some of the nicer knots of those in my collection, so that's clearly important too. Texture is very underrepresented in that sample for whatever reason.

---------

As silly as the selfie is, it's an effective way to make yourself known to the SF community. Consider venturing over to the WAYWRN thread.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. Claghorn

You need more brown and green in your selection! This is probably my favorite of yours:

[​IMG]

What is the construction on the grenadines?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  10. mcolman

mcolman New Member

I was referred to davidfin a little while back and purchased a navy grenadine for myself. As a previous sam hober customer I will attest that my davidfin experience was far greater. The tie arrived in just a few days in a gorgeous box and the service was outstanding. Discovering that I was able to help a vet get a job was extremely rewarding and warmed my heart. Bottom line, the tie looks amazing and not only was it the perfect width but the knot was flawless as well.

Thanks David keep up the good work.

11. DavidFin

@claghorn Thanks for sharing that extensive in detail response! As we venture into prints you will definitely start seeing more neats from us. To answer your question about grenadine construction:
    All our ties are 3 fold construction with tipping (a really cool silk camo ) and 100% wool lining and cotton secondary lining to give extra body for certain ties. I have seen others advertise 100% wool lining which is not always correct as I've bought several of there ties and had them tested proffesionally and the linings came back 60%-80% wool. This actually makes a big difference believe it or not when you hold both linings side by side. We tend to give our ties a fuller body construction rather then going lightly lined. With 100% wool lining you can do this and it feels great. The simple reason for this construction is simple: A large number of our clientelle are wall st. folks, lawyers, bankers etc. who wear ties every day and want a durable product with some body rather then a unlined , untipped tie which me or you and this forum would appreciate but 90% of the world does not (most of them are not as educated as you and me :) )
    We accomplish 3 aspects that people love :
    1. Quality and feel (amazing textures)
    2. Durability (hand made 3 fold construction tipped)
    3. Price

David

www.davidfin.com

12. DavidFin

@mcolman we are glad you are enjoying your grenadines you purchased from us. I think you are a great example of a guy who loves nice ties and textures but still needs a durable construction since you wear a tie everyday. Glad you apreciate the taper of the tie and you are enjoying them!

David

www.davidfin.com

13. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Good luck with this great venture, David! Might I suggest adding a link to your store as part of your signature?

14. DavidFin

@othertravel thanks for this suggestion, i will get on it!

Best,

David

www.davidfin.com

15. DavidFin

[​IMG]
    Hi gentlemen ,

Friday afternoon means time for some designing of next winter collection. Our collection now is pretty traditional, so we want to get a bit adventurous . What do you think of the wool/silk blend swatches below? I think they can make some interesting ties. colors are a tad brighter in person.
    Comment below and let me know what you think.

Best,
    David
    www.davidfin.com
    [​IMG]