• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Chu ties pics..........

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As most NYers know, Saks recently added 30% to their merchandise which was already marked down 50%. The greatest selection of stuff is in shirts and ties and since I have become a big fan of David Chu's wares (on sale
smile.gif
), I figured I'd post a few pics of his ties, since there are still some left at Saks (the only place that carries Chu in NY) and most people don't know about him. I love the construction and silk used in the ties. They are 4 folds, are 3 inches in width and just feel good.

I purchased these three as I no longer wear ties daily (maybe twice a year) and will look to pick up some from the fall collection. One of the things that attracted me to Chu is his assortment of "the basics" in terms of his ties. Finding a good solid navy and baby blue tie had become a mission for me. David Chu solved my problem.
KIF_2284.jpg

KIF_2283.jpg

He does also have quite a few patterns, almost all woven. The finish on this purple tie is more raw silk than the typical smooth silk of ties. It has wonderful texture and will do wonders for darker suits/blue shirts.
KIF_2286.jpg

All his ties come with this baby blue strip of fabric sewn into the thin part of the tie and it helps in creating a wonderful, thick knot, something which is not so easy to do with thinner ties.
KIF_2285.jpg

Again, I really like the construction
KIF_2288.jpg

With all the Saks sales of the last two months, all 3 ties cost me what 1 would retail for ($150). They are currently setting up his fall collection and I can honestly say that, while I had resolved to never pay full retail for a tie ever again given ebay and all the sources on this forum, Mr. Chu is currently the only tie designer for which I will pay full retail
smile.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ties Ed. When are you moving the thread to the sales forum
tounge.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice three inch ties. The purple one is my favorite.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To your point ed I'm always amazed to find that the guys that usually stick to the basics of style and keep things simple and elegant (RL, Barbera, Chu etc.) always do well. While those who chase this years color of the season or suit cut are always one step behind. I wish Chu's stuff was sold in Atlanta, it looks to be right up my alley, especially the shirts that you displayed not to long ago.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've already wrote it, but I really like the leather on this chair/couch.

Ties are nice.

!luc

Associate

Reaction score
I also picked up a Chu tie in navy with blue/crimson small floral pattern, a la Drake's. Good silk and very nicely constructed.

I gotta tell you though, 'David Chu' would not be my first choice for a brand, especially when the designer himself has very little name recognition, his past with Nautica notwithstanding.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Associate
I also picked up a Chu tie in navy with blue/crimson small floral pattern, a la Drake's. Good silk and very nicely constructed.

I gotta tell you though, 'David Chu' would not be my first choice for a brand, especially when the designer himself has very little name recognition, his past with Nautica notwithstanding.

I'd bet that many people know that he was the designer for Nautica.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I've already wrote it, but I really like the leather on this chair/couch.

Ties are nice.

!luc

Thanks, I use a very good car leather conditioner to keep them looking nice. When my wife gets tired of them maybe you'll see them on the sales foum
smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
To your point ed I'm always amazed to find that the guys that usually stick to the basics of style and keep things simple and elegant (RL, Barbera, Chu etc.) always do well. While those who chase this years color of the season or suit cut are always one step behind. I wish Chu's stuff was sold in Atlanta, it looks to be right up my alley, especially the shirts that you displayed not to long ago.

My wardrobe is slowly evolving into "simple and elegant". I find that the quality of the clothes make all the statement you need to be made and that it is easier to look well put together when there aren't 10 colors clashing. Against my better judgement though, I am still attracted to many of the wild Turnbull and Asser shirt patterns
lookaround.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
My wardrobe is slowly evolving into "simple and elegant". I find that the quality of the clothes make all the statement you need to be made and that it is easier to look well put together when there aren't 10 colors clashing. Against my better judgement though, I am still attracted to many of the wild Turnbull and Asser shirt patterns
lookaround.gif

Nothing wrong with that. Yet they should only compliment once wardrobe, and not be the bulk of it. !luc

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That navy tie is really nice. I checked it out today. My buddy bought a RLPL tie and pants, but we didn't see too much else even though some things were cheap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads