David Chu ties pics..........

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Aug 3, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

As most NYers know, Saks recently added 30% to their merchandise which was already marked down 50%. The greatest selection of stuff is in shirts and ties and since I have become a big fan of David Chu's wares (on sale [​IMG] ), I figured I'd post a few pics of his ties, since there are still some left at Saks (the only place that carries Chu in NY) and most people don't know about him. I love the construction and silk used in the ties. They are 4 folds, are 3 inches in width and just feel good.

I purchased these three as I no longer wear ties daily (maybe twice a year) and will look to pick up some from the fall collection. One of the things that attracted me to Chu is his assortment of "the basics" in terms of his ties. Finding a good solid navy and baby blue tie had become a mission for me. David Chu solved my problem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He does also have quite a few patterns, almost all woven. The finish on this purple tie is more raw silk than the typical smooth silk of ties. It has wonderful texture and will do wonders for darker suits/blue shirts.
    [​IMG]

All his ties come with this baby blue strip of fabric sewn into the thin part of the tie and it helps in creating a wonderful, thick knot, something which is not so easy to do with thinner ties.
    [​IMG]

Again, I really like the construction
    [​IMG]

With all the Saks sales of the last two months, all 3 ties cost me what 1 would retail for ($150). They are currently setting up his fall collection and I can honestly say that, while I had resolved to never pay full retail for a tie ever again given ebay and all the sources on this forum, Mr. Chu is currently the only tie designer for which I will pay full retail [​IMG]

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Nice ties Ed. When are you moving the thread to the sales forum [​IMG]

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Nice three inch ties. The purple one is my favorite.

4. edmorel

Thanks guys. Eytan, thanks for the positive note on the Drakes tie. Glad it got there fast and that you like it. Don't hold your breath waiting for these to go to the sales forum [​IMG] Did you see the brand new Bergdorf tie I am selling?

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

To your point ed I'm always amazed to find that the guys that usually stick to the basics of style and keep things simple and elegant (RL, Barbera, Chu etc.) always do well. While those who chase this years color of the season or suit cut are always one step behind. I wish Chu's stuff was sold in Atlanta, it looks to be right up my alley, especially the shirts that you displayed not to long ago.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I've already wrote it, but I really like the leather on this chair/couch.

Ties are nice.

!luc

8. Associate

Associate Senior member

I also picked up a Chu tie in navy with blue/crimson small floral pattern, a la Drake's. Good silk and very nicely constructed.

I gotta tell you though, 'David Chu' would not be my first choice for a brand, especially when the designer himself has very little name recognition, his past with Nautica notwithstanding.

9. cchen

cchen Senior member

I also picked up a Chu tie in navy with blue/crimson small floral pattern, a la Drake's. Good silk and very nicely constructed.

I gotta tell you though, 'David Chu' would not be my first choice for a brand, especially when the designer himself has very little name recognition, his past with Nautica notwithstanding.

I'd bet that many people know that he was the designer for Nautica.

10. edmorel

I've already wrote it, but I really like the leather on this chair/couch.

Ties are nice.

!luc

Thanks, I use a very good car leather conditioner to keep them looking nice. When my wife gets tired of them maybe you'll see them on the sales foum [​IMG]

11. edmorel

To your point ed I'm always amazed to find that the guys that usually stick to the basics of style and keep things simple and elegant (RL, Barbera, Chu etc.) always do well. While those who chase this years color of the season or suit cut are always one step behind. I wish Chu's stuff was sold in Atlanta, it looks to be right up my alley, especially the shirts that you displayed not to long ago.

My wardrobe is slowly evolving into "simple and elegant". I find that the quality of the clothes make all the statement you need to be made and that it is easier to look well put together when there aren't 10 colors clashing. Against my better judgement though, I am still attracted to many of the wild Turnbull and Asser shirt patterns [​IMG]

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

My wardrobe is slowly evolving into "simple and elegant". I find that the quality of the clothes make all the statement you need to be made and that it is easier to look well put together when there aren't 10 colors clashing. Against my better judgement though, I am still attracted to many of the wild Turnbull and Asser shirt patterns [​IMG]
    Nothing wrong with that. Yet they should only compliment once wardrobe, and not be the bulk of it. !luc

13. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

David Chu has a bigger space at SFA for the fall. Some nice stuff, including one absolutely gorgeous orange cashmere spread collar shirt.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

That navy tie is really nice. I checked it out today. My buddy bought a RLPL tie and pants, but we didn't see too much else even though some things were cheap.