• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

d'Avenza jacket - Tailor or not?

monkey66

Reaction score
Hi all,

After 2 months in the post this jacket finally landed. Oerall the fit is good but it is on the long side for me. Please let me have your thoughts, shorten by an inch or so (and risk the line/balance) or leave alone?

Also thoughts on wide lapels, a first for me.

Please excuse the rest of the outfit, not how I would pair this jacket.

Thanks in advance.
20201022_115514 (1).jpg
20201023_112100.jpg
20201023_112038.jpg
20201023_112005.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the fit looks ok. It lacks vents so I’m not sure how it would perform when sitting.
I’m almost 100% sure that’s an orphaned suit jacket though. You might be able to pull it off with jeans.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

monkey66

Reaction score
I think the fit looks ok. It lacks vents so I’m not sure how it would perform when sitting.
I’m almost 100% sure that’s an orphaned suit jacket though. You might be able to pull it off with jeans.
Funny, I thought the opposite apart from the material. No vents, jetted pockets and single button struck me as informal. Also no '2pc' on the label common with d'avenza suits.

But shorten or not?

But the material is much finer in real life than in the pictures when I bought it. More suit like.

Not sure how to pair, don't love it with jeans

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny, I thought the opposite apart from the material. No vents, jetted pockets and single button struck me as informal. Also no '2pc' on the label common with d'avenza suits.

But shorten or not?

But the material is much finer in real life than in the pictures when I bought it. More suit like.

Not sure how to pair, don't love it with jeans

no vent was a characteristic of Italian suits. The double vent is more of an English feature and comes from an equestrian heritage.

the single button is certainly unusual by today’s standard, but not necessarily casual.

I don’t think it needs shortening.

monkey66

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

No tailoring but what do I wear it with?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

No tailoring but what do I wear it with?

The straightfwd option is a pair of navy trousers and a white shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads