Dating is dead

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MetroStyles, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

hmm
    must be an American (or Western) phenonmenon?

Western for sure. Same (or similar) thing in Australia and I hear the same thing about England.

2. coupdetat

coupdetat New Member

I used to think dating was dead because 95% of the girls I met were idiots and the rest were either taken or were unattractive. When I went to college in the midwest, lots of girls loved to go out on dates. I transferred to University of Connecticut and it seems like NOBODY here dates, even the couples I know don't go out together often.

Then I met my beautiful girlfriend and nothing else mattered anyways [​IMG]

3. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Then I met my beautiful girlfriend and nothing else mattered anyways [​IMG]

Thats reassuring!

4. mrkleen

mrkleen Well-Known Member

It also comes down to your definition of a "date" as well. Most women prefer to play things more casually, and dont want to pressure of a long, protracted, multi hour night - full of formality and pressure, at least at the beginning.

I am "dating" several women at the minute - and very rarely do I go to their apartments, pick them up, bring them flowers, pay for an expensive dinner and a movie, and then drive them home with a peck on the cheek. I do some combination of those things every time we hang out, but not all of it every time. I save that kind of thing for someone I am in a more serious relationship with.

In my eyes, when I plan to meet up with a girl at a bar, pay for all (or most) of the drinks, grab a slice of pizza with her, and then drive her home or put her in a cab, that is a date. It isnt your father's idea of a date, but a date it is.

So I disagree that dating is dead. It is just a different animal circa 2008.

5. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

That's a really interesting article. I could say that I'm dating a couple of different girls right now. I go and visit them, we go out to dinner, I usually pay for it, we hook up but there is no commitment with either of them. I travel all over the place for work (mineral exploration and geology) and I don't want to be tied down. That's how I feel. I don't know exactly how that ties in with what the author is saying though.

6. Lel

Lel Senior member

Girls these days...

I have a chick friend who is dating these two guys. One took her on a canoe ride into a lake, came back and had a picnic ready for her, and then bought her a frisbee and they played that for a while.

Another just took her to Sonics and didn't even say goodbye to her when he left for Cancun, which peeved her off.

Yet she still cares equally, if not more, for the latter guy! Wtf!?

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

But date-rape is not dead.

8. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

Girls these days...

I have a chick friend who is dating these two guys. One took her on a canoe ride into a lake, came back and had a picnic ready for her, and then bought her a frisbee and they played that for a while.

Another just took her to Sonics and didn't even say goodbye to her when he left for Cancun, which peeved her off.

Yet she still cares equally, if not more, for the latter guy! Wtf!?

Girls tend to like guys who are bad to them. Fact of life.

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Girls tend to like guys who are bad to them. Fact of life.

Yeah and it's one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen.

Maybe one of the gals can explain why it is so cool to hang around an asshole who slaps them around, knocks them up and doesn't give a shit about the kid, etc.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Girls tend to like guys who don't put them on a pedestal. Fact of life.
    Fixed. There are a small minority of women who stay with men who are physically and/or emotionally abusive to them. These women have self-esteem issues. The other women don't like bad boys so much as men who don't feel the need to buy a woman's affection. Without knowing more about the two men described above, I would guess that the second is a lot more confident and a lot less needy, which is attractive in itself.

11. Lel

Lel Senior member

Fixed. There are a small minority of women who stay with men who are physically and/or emotionally abusive to them. These women have self-esteem issues. The other women don't like bad boys so much as men who don't feel the need to buy a woman's affection. Without knowing more about the two men described above, I would guess that the second is a lot more confident and a lot less needy, which is attractive in itself.

That's an understandable logic train but actually the first is quite popular, pretty much has everything going for him. All the girls swoon for him. In fact, as a sophomore he dated a senior girl (a really attractive, popular one) up until his junior year and he was the one who ended up.

I'd call the first guy confident, but modest, and instantly likeable. The second guy I would call more cocky, and sometimes can be rude. Which is why I find this so baffling.

12. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

Why is sex so glorified?

It's not that great...

13. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Why is sex so glorified?

It's not that great...

Sex with a beautiful woman is.

14. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

Why would you have sex with anything else?

And no, it's not...It's quite a plentiful commodity.

Maybe my nervous system is fucked up [​IMG] [​IMG]