• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Date this Oxxford...

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to continue to clutter up the forum with my cheap suit-shopping whims, but would anyone dare to put a date to this Oxxford suit... Looks rather old, by button stance; but then, it's Oxxford.
suit48091wy.jpg

JohnMS

Reaction score
shoreman,

If some how you can get the numbers out of the jacket pocket, you can actually e-mail Oxxford and they will date it for you. I did that once and found it very helpful.

Turns out the jacket I purchased off of eBay was 15 years old, but looked great. I think it will last easily another 15 years.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That looks similar to one I have in my closet, waiting to be sold. I can't remember the model name but it's probably in a post from a while back. I'll check when I get home if you still don't know by then.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
There's no way on earth that one could tell from the photo.

If it's a MTM, then the date will be in the label on the right, inside pocket. There will also be a label in the pants in back of the "secret money pocket".

Some RTW models are dated.

Good luck.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Maybe I should snap this one up, but I don't feel like paying $100... so far, seller has not been responsive. "Oxford" suit, 42r Like the title, I'm not certain the sizing is accurate. In any case, button stance looks lower than what I have in mind. I guess beggars can be choosers.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd pass on it, to be honest. For one, I think the gorge looks a little low and dated. Second, and most importantly, who knows how long that thing has been on that atrocious plastic hanger (or a worse one). In my experience, even the best suit will soon be irreperably thrown out of shape by a straight hanger.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oxxford's gorge tends to be a bit lower than the Italians, so I wouldn't consider a low gorge by itself to be a reason not to buy.  This isn't like one of those Giorgio Armani numbers that are clearly from the 1980s.  I do agree that the button stance is a bit low, and the buttons appear unusually close together.  The big issue is the length.  The suit is clearly a L, not a R, and if the 33" is measured from the top of the collar, you probably need to be at least 5'11" to wear it.  If it's from the bottom of the collar, forget about it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
If some how you can get the numbers out of the jacket pocket, you can actually e-mail Oxxford and they will date it for you.  I did that once and found it very helpful.
Maybe, maybe not. I tried that with my recent Oxxford acquisition and have yet to hear from them (been about two weeks now). Perhaps I'll try again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads