• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daskb challenges Aportnoy to a shoe-off!

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Geesh... what a wet blanket. We're just having a bit of fun joking around, that's all. If it is so distasteful, certainly there are many other threads around that you can view.

You speak the truth, but some people are just that way, online or in life. I am trying to learn to ignore them with a smile.
smile.gif

Regards.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Would he be more or less nuts if he actually wore the shoes he buys?

A little less, I think.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If he doesn't wear them... what does he do with them all then?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see it as worship, just more amazement and the feat (feet?) of collecting every shoe ever made in each of the materials and colors in which it was offered. I choose to believe that Andrew has compulsive hoarding syndrome, just a way cooler kind that the people who stockpile plastic forks and toiletpaper tubes as opposed to handmade shoes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

They are photographed and posted, and then go into a closet, never to be seen again. I think it's easier for him to find the pics on his hard drive than it is to find the actual shoes.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How could he wear them? If he observed a strict rotation, he could go almost a year before repeating a shoe....

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
aportnoy is overrated.

I know this because I am wearing a pair of shoes today that sat in his shoeseum unworn for countless months before ending up on my feet.

This means at least one thing: I have a pair of shoes that he does not.

- B

It might also mean that he enjoyed purchasing that pair of shoes so much that he sold them to you so that he could go out and buy them again.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
It might also mean that he enjoyed purchasing that pair of shoes so much that he sold them to you so that he could go out and buy them again.

Wow, that just opens up soo many more avenues....
worship.gif

Regards.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
How could he wear them? If he observed a strict rotation, he could go almost a year before repeating a shoe....

Ahem. I think we did a rough calculation and found that Portnoy has at least 400 pairs of shoes.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahem. I think we did a rough calculation and found that Portnoy has at least 400 pairs of shoes.

Wow, that's probably more than 4 times the number of all the shoes I've owned in my whole life (and yes, that includes my baby shoes, as well).

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think some forumites have a sneaking suspicion that there is a different answer for this. The simplest answer is that he is some sort of shoe distributor, but it appears all the shoes are the same size. I've even bought shoes from aportnoy which he never wore, but he doesn't sell very often. I think it would be bizarre for anyone other than a billionaire, entertainer, or royalty to have 400-ish pairs of shoes (and, I believe, we have ruled out he is either of the 3, aportnoy has even posted his face in pics before). The fact that he never seems to wear them, he only takes pics of them 4 at a time, and they never appear on ebay is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.
sneaky2.gif
sneaky2.gif
sneaky2.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think some forumites have a sneaking suspicion that there is a different answer for this. The simplest answer is that he is some sort of shoe distributor, but it appears all the shoes are the same size. I've even bought shoes from aportnoy which he never wore, but he doesn't sell very often. I think it would be bizarre for anyone other than a billionaire, entertainer, or royalty to have 400-ish pairs of shoes (and, I believe, we have ruled out he is either of the 3, aportnoy has even posted his face in pics before). The fact that he never seems to wear them, he only takes pics of them 4 at a time, and they never appear on ebay is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.
sneaky2.gif
sneaky2.gif
sneaky2.gif

Shoe distributor? If that many EGs found their way back in the distribution chain you don't think someone would have sniffed them out?

Maybe Portnoy won his complaint, or a hefty settlement.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe distributor? If that many EGs found their way back in the distribution chain you don't think someone would have sniffed them out?

Maybe Portnoy won his complaint, or a hefty settlement.

That's what I am saying. Someone who takes pics of 400 different new shoes would most likely to be a distributor. But clearly, he is not. Like I said, his shoes don't seem to ever make their way back into any sort of marketplace, ebay, or even yahoo auctions japan.

I just don't think he has all 400 shoes at once, it doesn't make sense. I would LOVE to be proved wrong with a collection pic of 400 shoes. Do it, do it, do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads