• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D'Artagnan Jamon Serrano

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
So it just arrived - in a styrofoam carton with freezer packs in it. There's a big label on it (obviously added in the US) that says "Keep Refrigerated."

This surprised me. I don't have to keep it refrigerated, do I?

@ globe: what kind of Jew are you?
laugh.gif

I'd follow the instructions just to be safe. Is it good?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it just arrived - in a styrofoam carton with freezer packs in it. There's a big label on it (obviously added in the US) that says "Keep Refrigerated."

This surprised me. I don't have to keep it refrigerated, do I?

laugh.gif

That doesn't make sense - the whole point of preparing meat like that is to preserve it. It might just be the hyper sensitivity in our country. Please defer to someone who knows more than me though.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have not broken into it yet - probably will not til this Saturday. I have read a number of sources, all which indicate that a boneless ham ought to be refrigerated. I wonder if the fact that it has been boned (after curing, I think?) leaves air pockets that are potential breeding grounds for bacteria. Still looking for a definitive answer from someone more knowledgable than I, however. It is in the refrig. for now, just to stay on the safe side.

JhwkMac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Not saying this isn't somewhat true, if overstated, but serrano is delicious and far less expensive.
Serrano ham is less expensive, and it has it's place for sure. The main problem that I have with Serrano is the lack of fat. It has it's own merit, it's got stronger taste then most prosciutto i've had. but Bellota has an arm and a leg over all. The fact that the pigs gorge on acorns before their slaughtered makes it not only a lot healthier: monosaturated fats. it makes the pigs fatter which improves mouthfeel of the ham 10 fold. Not to mention the 'nuttier' taste and sweetness.. i don't think i can overstate how good bellota ham is. One thing to note is that there are different brands/classes of bellota, all of them taste somewhat different and have different texture, like wine. If you are a foodie this may well be one of the best sites you've seen:
f799c321560d20d4d8c796c3e0b2f53c.jpg
product_1725592b.jpg
This is the Vulcan Bellota plate at the restaurant Bellota Bellota in Paris, 7th arr. What it consists of is some of the very finest ham ever made, sliced by hand, and layed around a porcelain disk, with a candle in the middle. the metal becomes heated and causes the fat in the ham to change, it gets melty almost transluscent. You eat the ham slowly, eat some andalucian olives, potato puree drowning in spanish olive oil, and drink a rioja or even better a 'vendages tardives' wine. I've worked as a Chef in Paris for 2 years at some of the best restaurants in town(2-3michelin stars), few things have some close as far as a gastronomical experience.
wink.gif

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drool.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I used to go there for lunch every week. Really nice people and a good product, but expensive as hell.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

laugh.gif

the kinds that spends a hell of a lot more on ham than on matza balls

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have not broken into it yet - probably will not til this Saturday.

I have read a number of sources, all which indicate that a boneless ham ought to be refrigerated. I wonder if the fact that it has been boned (after curing, I think?) leaves air pockets that are potential breeding grounds for bacteria.

Still looking for a definitive answer from someone more knowledgable than I, however.

It is in the refrig. for now, just to stay on the safe side.

Douglas - I am not the supreme source on this, but a whole ham has a layer of fat that keeps out the bad stuff. once it has been cut into, theoretically germs can get in. that said, people hung hams for thousands of years without refrigeration. I am guessing that it more a liability thing that a real danger.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the kinds that spends a hell of a lot more on ham than on matza balls

LOL!!!!!!!!!
lol8[1].gif

notalwaysrig

Reaction score
The best ham I ever had, and some of the best seafood...and wine..and other things EVER.. was in Spain. Their ham is so effing illlllllllllll....if you ever get a chance....(northern spain)..prob good all over though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads