• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darryl Stingley - RIP

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember that hit by Tatum on Stingley! Tatum was a really dirty player.

According to the article, Stingley was a survivor and did a lot after he was paralyzed.

He was a director of personal for the Patriots, had a non-profit to help inner city youth, and wrote a book.

A Good Man, he will be missed.

BTW: I like Football. I think it's the best TV sport by far. But incidents like this don't seem to happen in other sports!

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems that some of the recent generations of retired players are suffering Alzheimers-like symptoms. Even with the super-duper helmets, players are just getting too strong. I think NEP Ted Johnson's plight is well known. I recently saw another moving article about a fairly young guy (40's?) who doesn't recognize his former teammate...
frown.gif

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
But incidents like this don't seem to happen in other sports!

Unfortunately they do, I'll never forget turning on the BU Terriers hockey game years ago watching Travis Roy laying on the ice after hitting the boards the wrong way.

I think the Darryl Stingley hit is the reason my father hates the Raiders so much, nice write up in the Globe.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just last night I say a George Will interview where he described football as distilling the two worst aspects of modern American life: violence punctuated by committee meetings.

There are intelligent people who would disagree with this, but Stingley's injury really brings home the high risk that we ask children and young men to bear for our entertainment.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Just last night I say a George Will interview where he described football as distilling the two worst aspects of modern American life: violence punctuated by committee meetings.

There are intelligent people who would disagree with this, but Stingley's injury really brings home the high risk that we ask children and young men to bear for our entertainment.

Not a US sport limited phenomenon unfortunately. Same thing with football and rugby - lots of war & tear and injuries there also. And they don't even have protective gear like in american football
confused.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

laugh.gif

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
According to the Director of the Massachusetts Sports Museum. Tatum never once offered an apology, regret or communication to Stingley in all the years he survived.

They were supposed to appear on a talk show together in the 90s, but Stingley withdrew because he was told that it was just publicity for Tatum's book: Final Confessions of an NFL Assassin.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Not a US sport limited phenomenon unfortunately. Same thing with football and rugby - lots of war & tear and injuries there also. And they don't even have protective gear like in american football
confused.gif

Everyone knows where I stand already. Football and Rugby are incomparable sports.

A: the "pads" foriegners dismiss so lightly are made of hard reinforced plastic, not rubber or protective foam like you might be assuming. In essence, they are weapons that enable you to hit people without the restraint you need to excercise in rugby to prevent yourself from being paralyzed or dying. The pads don't ABSORB shock, they distribute throughout your skeletal structure so that your organs and soft tissues don't burst. If a rugby player tackled like a football player, his career wouldn't last a game. The protective gear is there to save players lives and to make it possible to hit people HARDER, not because they are any less "manly".

B: The game is fundimentally different, there is no "blocking" in rugby. (IE the only person being tackled is the guy with the ball) that enables the game to flow pretty much uninterrupted the entire length of the game, but it also basically means that the level of actual contact is far lower than in the NFL or college football, where on every play, nearly every player is hit. This generally requires a "reset" of the formation and a pause in the action, not because players are any less athletic, or "soft" but because all of them are either engaged in wrestling a 350lb guy with an attitude problem, lying flat on their back with a footprint on their chest, or have just been hit by a guy who weighs LITERALLY twice what he does and are unconcious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads