1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Darren Beamen's new logo I design

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by doughboysc, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Hahaha. Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much in your spot, as your website is very specialized and I doubt it's losing you any customers right now. But yea, I think you are a little crazy to do that [​IMG] For the same effect, I would personally just break up the images (instead of image mapping) and using several low color-count gifs.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

One of the notables in the logo business. [​IMG]

3. j

j Senior member Admin

I much prefer:

.... (the BMW logo)

Symbolic of the historical origin of the company (a propeller on a sky blue / Bayerische Luftwaffe blue field) and also visually striking.

4. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

and evidently good at protecting their logo so you can't link it.

...now did you know that, J, or were you quoting from "Finding Forrestor"????

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Heh. Which brings me to: [​IMG] The CEO of the luxury car maker Mercedes Benz was proud of all his staff. One fine day, he decided to make a trip down to a company's plant to interact with the workers. All the top managers upon knowing his rare appearance to the plant were very excited about it and made sure they prepared their workers for the Chairman arrival. At the plant, the Chairman posed a very simple question to his managers, "who can tell me what the Mercedes circular insignia at the front of the car represents?" All the managers were dumbfounded. Just then, a young sleepy chap amongst the workers was quick to answer, "Oh that's simple, you fools. It stands for: 8 o'clock start work, 12 o'clock lunch & at 5 o'clock we go home." Jon.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

Ouch. I suppose that was a bit rude of me, but I wasn't about to go to all the trouble of uploading it to imageshack etc.

Anyway it was obviously the BMW roundel.

7. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

What about something like this?

8. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

It does convey a certain understated elegance.  Savile is spelled with one L, by the way.  The "master" appellation is also overused and rendered pretty much meaningless nowadays.  "Tailors" or "Bespoke Tailors" should do fine.
    Grayson

9. j

j Senior member Admin

Since this appears to be a logo contest, I'll throw my hat in with an idea - some variations on a theme. Wish I had some better fonts on this machine, but you get the idea:

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The second one is terrific (for Darren). Â The entire design is very well balanced, and I think that the design conveys his brand image very well. The clean sans serifs font gives a modern feel while the overall design keeps it grounded in tradition. Â Number 1 is okay, but not nearly as aesthetically pleasing, and the third looks like you are trying to rip off Thomas Pink, which would be bad for more than one reason.

11. nightowl6261a

12. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I disagree. The second looks very "high street", like a lot of retailers and outfitters which tried to upscale their image in recent years. It doesn't suggest a tailor or anything individual.

I do agree that #3 looks alarmingly Pink-ish.

j's suggestions, if you forgive me, all looks a bit monolithic. I feel that the most enticing tailor labels have something fluid about them, something linear. I favor keeping the name on one line.

I also don't think a logo is needed. If there is one I would favor the most simple design possible. No flashy colors, no complicated rainbows, no damn initials.

#1 is all right, although I would increase the spacing between characters a fraction and if possible just slightly elongate the font.

Is there any program that can be used to slightly wear or fox the font? Without being pretentious, the very fact that so many of us are submitting designs goes to show that anyone with a desktop publishing program can produce a graphic nowadays. Something that doesn't look quite so... automated... does stand out.

13. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

The logo does not relate to tailoring in anyways.

14. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Alexander Kabbaz: Teaches forum members "I shall" and writes "from whence".

15. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

"From whence" is incorrect and I stand humbly corrected. Though commonly used in that context, "whence" in and of itself means "from where". Thank you, Mathieu. I shall now go flagellate myself with a yard of Zendaline.

16. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

The SR is way too prominent.  It's not a logo for Savile Row.  Some might take offense to cavalierly referring to the legendary Savile Row as SR.  Blue and white colors too stark. All meant in the spirit of constructive criticism.
    Grayson

17. sensiblegirl

sensiblegirl Member

is it sad that i am seriously contemplating designing one too, just to be part of the mob? ;-)

unfortunately the real world is a leeeeetle too pressing. and since i am not playing along, i will not critique anyone else's go either. this was a fun thread, though.

18. nightowl6261a

what did you come up with?

19. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Originally Posted by lisapop,April 10 2005,12:26
    The SR is way too prominent. Â It's not a logo for Savile Row. Â Some might take offense to cavalierly referring to the legendary Savile Row as SR. Â Blue and white colors too stark. Â All meant in the spirit of constructive criticism. Grayson
    what did you come up with?
    The Cooper Black typeface (anyone see the "Behind the Typeface" special?) for "Savile Row Bespoke Tailor" is all wrong. Â More for a donut shop than Savile Row. Â It may be somewhat tacky to be making a logo out of Savile Row. Â The "By" comes across as very pretentious. Â "By" implies that "Savile Row" is a designer label (in which case maybe lawsuits in the US from a cheap junky but widespread clothing label of the same name) and that Darren is creating it. Â As Darren is not creating a brand but is creating one-off bespoke clothing, this is not the impression he should give. Â As a small tailor, I think simple is good. Â Ideally, it should just convey the identity: Â the name and the profession. Â That goes a long way in communicating that the message is craftsmanship, not merchandising.

20. Matt

Matt Senior member

two things - i dont like the way Savile Row is broken in colors (white on black/black on white) - dont like the way it is split in Savile (which I know is done based on the number of letters, but it still doesnt look right to me)

secondly - you spelled BeamAn wrong