• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

darren beaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendlyone

Reaction score
For those who are considering attending the bespoke exhibition, I thought it might be useful to describe my experience with Mr. Beaman.

One year ago, based on the many glowing reviews of his work on this site, I decided schedule a meeting with him when he came to my city. He quickly acknowledged my request, and we set up an appointment.

On the day, I met him in the lobby of his hotel, and proceeded to his suite, which was filled with swatches of fabric of every description. Mr. Beaman proved to be very engaging: young, energetic, with a easygoing and polite manner. More to the point, he was very knowledgeable about tailoring. I asked him to give a critique of the suit that I was wearing, and he gave a first-rate one, pointing out flaws which I had never noticed and indicating in great detail how he would have done things differently. Impressed by this demonstration, I selected some fabric, and commissioned a suit.

But then the problems began. The story is long and complex, but essentially the problems were twofold. First, Mr. Beaman is very popular, and has many commitments. Second, he does not live in my city, so arranging a follow-up appointment is not a simple matter. Suffice to say that it has now been one year and I still have not had a first fitting.

My experience with him may well be unique. But it may also be something for others to consider.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the suit on his website looks incredable. the single button peak lapel jacket with double breasted vest. im thinking about commisioning him for that same piece. im thinking if i fly to london and possibly stay for a while he might be able to fit all the fittings into that time frame, instead of constantly flying back and forth from city to city. we shall see. im interested in hearing from others who have commisioned him for a suit.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... But then the problems began. The story is long and complex, but essentially the problems were twofold. First, Mr. Beaman is very popular, and has many commitments. Second, he does not live in my city, so arranging a follow-up appointment is not a simple matter. Suffice to say that it has now been one year and I still have not had a first fitting...
Have you tried calling Mr. Beaman (his computer seems to have been acting up according to some) to come to an arrangement? What did he tell you? I find it very very strange that a first fitting has not been arranged in one year. Have you paid a deposit?

uppercase

Reaction score
Get your money back and call it a day.
No one would accept a one year delay.
I recently had a bespoke suit made in 10 days in Europe; they worked hard to get it done during my short visit.
I'll surely be a repeat customer with that kind of dedication and customer care.
Write off your experience, forget your aggravation and find a new tailor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) I had occasion to see that SB peak, DB vest suit on its owner recently.  It looks at least as good in person.  Very fine diagonal stripe, only noticeable up close.  And the lining has to be seen to be believed.

2) Without wading in to any controversies, I may as well report my own experience.  I just had the basted fitting of my (first) Beaman suit a few days ago.  Darren adjusted the coat and rebasted it in time for another fitting the next day.  Length of time from order to first fitting: less than five months.  It probably could have been sooner, but given our schedules, that was the best either of us could do.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I had occasion to see that SB peak, DB vest suit on its owner recently.  It looks at least as good in person.  Very fine diagonal stripe, only noticeable up close.  And the lining has to be seen to be believed...
Good to hear of your experience Manton. Could you describe the suit on the person? Since Mr. Beaman says he was 'taught' to 'cut' by a kindly cutter at A&S, would you say this is a soft suit with drape? From the picture, it looks anything but.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
would you say this is a soft suit with drape?
No, it is quite fitted and structured. The owner specifically said that is what he likes, and that is what he asked for.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Everyone,

Please bear in mind that "friendlyone" may be yet another incarnation of the elusive Mr. "Grayson". I'm traveling, and left my IP checking and tracing procedures at home, but have IM'd J re this matter.

He's probably enjoying his birthday.

friendlyone

Reaction score
To answer some of the questions.

1. I have indeed tried to contact Mr. Beaman. But suffice to say that there have been difficulties both in contacting him and coming to a suitable arrangement. Some of the problem was my fault: on one occasion he came to my city but I was off travelling. But other meetings have been hampered by, shall we say, miscommunication.

2. Yes, I paid a deposit, which I have tried to get back. No luck.

3. I am not Mark Grayson, as a cursory check of my IP and past postings will reveal. I am a very patient, quiet, person, who is more saddened and disappointed by this episode than angry. I have no desire to start a mud-slinging match, but just to provide some information to other neophytes who may be reading this site and thinking of engaging a tailor.

4. My only point is that such arrangements can be difficult when the tailor and client are separated by an ocean.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by friendlyone:
I am not Mark Grayson, as a cursory check of my IP and past postings will reveal. I am a very patient, quiet, person, who is more saddened and disappointed by this episode than angry. I have no desire to start a mud-slinging match, but just to provide some information to other neophytes who may be reading this site and thinking of engaging a tailor.
I'm sure J can easily check your IP and prove/disprove the "Grayson" agenda.

I have indeed tried to contact Mr. Beaman. But suffice to say that there have been difficulties both in contacting him and coming to a suitable arrangement. Some of the problem was my fault: on one occasion he came to my city but I was off travelling. But other meetings have been hampered by, shall we say, miscommunication.
From this I assume you are in a city that Mr. Beaman regularly travels to? Have you tried contacting him when you and he were in the same city? And?

Yes, I paid a deposit, which I have tried to get back. No luck.
When you say "no luck" what do you mean? He said no? Why not?

Fashionslave

Reaction score
Strange,but I think I saw that Darren Beaman was bidding on an A&S suit on Ebay a few weeks ago.
wow.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, a 'cursory glance' at your IP certainly puts you geographically in suspicion of being 'Grayson', but as of yet you have not really been antagonistic or libelous.

If you are 'Grayson', I don't really like banning people - just take your medication like the nice doctor says, and you can stay.

friendlyone

Reaction score
To answer the questions:

1. There was at least one occasion when Mr. Beaman announced that he was coming to my city, so I emailed him several times, asking for an appointment. For some reason, I got no response, so I then phoned the hotel where he was staying and left a message, asking for him to please phone me. Unfortunately, he never got any of these messages, so I was unable to meet up with him.

2. As for getting my deposit back, he indicated that he preferred to complete the suit, but said that he would talk about it. Unfortunately, we were never able to get together, either via email or phone call.

3. As I said, to me, this is a very sad event. It's just a difficult situation when both parties are very busy.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This story highlights one of the generic problems with dealing with a visiting tailor. If you are out of town or otherwise busy, progress is delayed by 3 to 4 months. If you get started with a visiting tailor, you cannot assume that it will take less than 1 year to get your completed garment. I am well into my second year for my first commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads