• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DarknWorn was right!!!!111!!!1

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You can request anything you want.
laugh.gif
Actually, on Sunday I stayed for service and did finally get a chance to produce some plates for customers. It was awesome. After a few plates, I realized that any of the plates I sent out could be a part of someone's best meal of their life. That was kinda nuts.

On Saturday, I did receive the truffle order. Big box, lots of packaging, kind of pomp and circumstance. Then I opened it and got slapped in the olfactory with this huge aroma and I melted on the inside. It was the size of a child's fist. Crazy.

Haha, yeah, and not just the best food meal, but best special meal, since people consider that restaurant to be one of those special occasion places; I always end up being flanked by someone on an anniversary or celebrating a graduation/birthday there.

They take pride in the truffle; they always bring out that truffle box to show it like a gold medal. I thought it would be more fun if they brought it out with 2 large guards and had the box cuffed to the server's wrist, but that's also why I don't own a restaurant.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Haha, yeah, and not just the best food meal, but best special meal, since people consider that restaurant to be one of those special occasion places; I always end up being flanked by someone on an anniversary or celebrating a graduation/birthday there.

They take pride in the truffle; they always bring out that truffle box to show it like a gold medal. I thought it would be more fun if they brought it out with 2 large guards and had the box cuffed to the server's wrist, but that's also why I don't own a restaurant.

The truffles are nice, but they don't get ordered often now because they don't really fit into the flavor profile of any of the dishes on the menu. Excluding the corn and black truffle risotto, obviously. The rest of the stuff is really summery and fresh, and when I ate there, I didn't really notice any dishes that would have been advanced by truffles in terms of flavor profile, unless you just wanted to order truffles because they're truffles (which I think a lot of ppl do). Plus they're Australian summer truffles.
Now, once it gets later in the year, a month or two from now, and white truffles are in season, we should start getting bigger truffles in and more often too, which will be fun, because the menu will start to change to a more hearty, truffle-friendly profile.

Also cool at the restaurant is the little balloon thing the pastry side sends out after your cheese courses but before dessert starts. Have you seen it? They fill a little siphon with shaved chocolate, blow a balloon up, put it on the siphon, then put a glass lid on top of the entire plate. When it gets out to the table, the release the siphon, and the air from the balloon pushes all the chocolate into the plate, and it looks kind of like a shaved chocolate snow globe. It's pretty cool. Kinda gimmicky, but people like it.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The truffles are nice, but they don't get ordered often now because they don't really fit into the flavor profile of any of the dishes on the menu. Excluding the corn and black truffle risotto, obviously. The rest of the stuff is really summery and fresh, and when I ate there, I didn't really notice any dishes that would have been advanced by truffles in terms of flavor profile, unless you just wanted to order truffles because they're truffles (which I think a lot of ppl do). Plus they're Australian summer truffles.
Now, once it gets later in the year, a month or two from now, and white truffles are in season, we should start getting bigger truffles in and more often too, which will be fun, because the menu will start to change to a more hearty, truffle-friendly profile.

Also cool at the restaurant is the little balloon thing the pastry side sends out after your cheese courses but before dessert starts. Have you seen it? They fill a little siphon with shaved chocolate, blow a balloon up, put it on the siphon, then put a glass lid on top of the entire plate. When it gets out to the table, the release the siphon, and the air from the balloon pushes all the chocolate into the plate, and it looks kind of like a shaved chocolate snow globe. It's pretty cool. Kinda gimmicky, but people like it.

I don't think I've ever seen the balloon thing, going to me or another table. Is that new, seasonal, or only for people celebrating certain things? I always stick with the tasting, so I've never gotten a stand-alone cheese course.

I'm definitely waiting for the winter truffle menu.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT?? really?
confused.gif
No - I will not try this!
plain.gif
well... is it really that good?
blush.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I don't think I've ever seen the balloon thing, going to me or another table. Is that new, seasonal, or only for people celebrating certain things? I always stick with the tasting, so I've never gotten a stand-alone cheese course.

I'm definitely waiting for the winter truffle menu.

I think it's mostly for anniversaries and birthdays. I'm not entirely sure.
Originally Posted by gdl203
WHAT?? really?
confused.gif
No - I will not try this!
plain.gif
well... is it really that good?
blush.gif

It IS. But don't use it if you're actually serving an entire piece of chicken, IMO. It works well for when you only need small pieces of chicken, like for a pasta or something.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's mostly for anniversaries and birthdays. I'm not entirely sure.

Sounds like I'll need to make up a reason next time I'm there to see this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads