• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DarknWorn was right!!!!111!!!1

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
IIRC, if the soup boils it is ruined (for the purpose of ramen anyway), because the broth will never clear. Not sure if that is true IRL, never cared to test.

Absolutely it is. If you let stock boil even for a minute or two, it will cloud.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just want to chime in to say that tampopo is one of the greatest films ever. the scene with the dying mother, and the scene with the man who cuts his lip on the oyster are not to be missed by anyone who loves cinema.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would actually like to take credit for this.

my0gr81

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I DO need to watch it then!

What happens is that by boiling it, the fat isn't sitting on the top, in a way that you can skim it off. Harshly boiling it breaks the fat up and emulsifies it into the soup, which makes the soup cloudy.
I like Tampopo already.

If the broth boils, let it cool down completely and then store in the fridge overnight. Remove all the fat from the top the next morning. It is true that the broth will never "clear" as some of fat will be emulsified in the protein cell in the broth, but that is the distinction between broth and consome.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does this mean for chicken ****? Should I try boiling them as well, with potatoes, onions and friends? Normally I either BBQ, bake or cut up and fry.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by my0gr81
If the broth boils, let it cool down completely and then store in the fridge overnight. Remove all the fat from the top the next morning. It is true that the broth will never "clear" as some of fat will be emulsified in the protein cell in the broth, but that is the distinction between broth and consome.
Well that.... plus a kind of a big deal in a clarification raft. But whatevz.
Originally Posted by unjung
What does this mean for chicken ****? Should I try boiling them as well, with potatoes, onions and friends? Normally I either BBQ, bake or cut up and fry.

No. IMO, this is a pretty good cooking method if you're going to be shredding the chicken, but if you're going to be serving the actual breast as a whole piece, I'd use a diff method. It worked really well for putting the chicken in pasta, or stir fry, or soup, etc.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwilk, is this all for the summer gig?

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Kwilk, have you seen Tampopo? I ask because the issue of boiling a soup is addressed, and also because if you haven't seen it, you better do so right quick.
+1

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i just want to chime in to say that tampopo is one of the greatest films ever. the scene with the dying mother, and the scene with the man who cuts his lip on the oyster are not to be missed by anyone who loves cinema.

+1

Tampopo is one of my fav films of all time. Good cinema with food theme - and very well done too.

Originally Posted by my0gr81

All this science, I don't understand.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bigstar[1].gif
The ultimate boiled chicken has to be Hainanese chicken, as in the one I ate at the Malaysian restaurant last week. Basically, all the chickens boil are boiled, with aromatics, in the same master stock. As the stock evaporates or being used up, it is topped off with water, and so the stock continues to live on, chicken after chicken. This creates an intensely chickeny flavored stock that infuses every subsequent chicken with its flavor, allowing the chef to cook the chicken longer without losing any chicken flavor. The rice the chicken is usually served with also receives a ladle full of the stock, making it extraordinary flavorful. Now, when will you admit that I'm right about the single-carcass soup stock being not as flavorful as the multiple-carcass stock?
teacha.gif

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
bigstar[1].gif

The ultimate boiled chicken has to be Hainanese chicken, as in the one I ate at the Malaysian restaurant last week. Basically, all the chickens boil are boiled, with aromatics, in the same master stock. As the stock evaporates or being used up, it is topped off with water, and so the stock continues to live on, chicken after chicken. This creates an intensely chickeny flavored stock that infuses every subsequent chicken with its flavor, allowing the chef to cook the chicken longer without losing any chicken flavor. The rice the chicken is usually served with also receives a ladle full of the stock, making it extraordinary flavorful.

Now, when will you admit that I'm right about the single-carcass soup stock being not as flavorful as the multiple-carcass stock?
teacha.gif

Emphatic +1 from Singapore

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Kwilk, is this all for the summer gig?

Yeah. Well, for cooking family meal for the summer gig. They aren't so quick to trust someone with the actual paying customers' food.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah. Well, for cooking family meal for the summer gig. They aren't so quick to trust someone with the actual paying customers' food.

You mean I can't request you make me a special course if I go in for a tasting menu, perhaps with the assistance of the heavy-handed truffle shaver?
plain.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
You mean I can't request you make me a special course if I go in for a tasting menu, perhaps with the assistance of the heavy-handed truffle shaver?
plain.gif

You can request anything you want.
laugh.gif
Actually, on Sunday I stayed for service and did finally get a chance to produce some plates for customers. It was awesome. After a few plates, I realized that any of the plates I sent out could be a part of someone's best meal of their life. That was kinda nuts.

On Saturday, I did receive the truffle order. Big box, lots of packaging, kind of pomp and circumstance. Then I opened it and got slapped in the olfactory with this huge aroma and I melted on the inside. It was the size of a child's fist. Crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads