• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Darker shirt fade quickly?

smilence

Reaction score
I have several dark color shirts which I have less than 20 wears, and I always take them to cleaners. ( Standard press and wash, no dry-clean) And I find that the collars and cuffs tend to wear easily after washes, and these are not low quality fabrics. This shirt in particular is from Spier&Mackay, but this also happen on my custom shirts with Albini or Thomas Mason fabrics.

2018-04-26 18.46.28.jpg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dye fades with time, it’s only a matter of when, not if. That’s one reason classic men’s shirting is white or light blue. :confused2:

maxalex

Reaction score
Cleaning services are rough on shirts. They get washed in huge agitating machines, with more concentrated detergents and chemicals than you have at home, then pressed on massive hydraulic steamers under tons of pressure. Yes, they get out stains and collar rings. They also pulverize buttons, bleed fabric and unravel seams.

In the days when men wore white shirts every day, the brutalities of the shirt service were easy to ignore; shirts were commodities and when one got ruined you pulled another identical model out of the drawer. Today if you wear more colorful and original shirts, those losses are harder to accept.

I swore off the shirt service years ago and wash my own. Hang to dry, preferably outdoors. Ironing is a manageable chore: put on some music or a game on TV, and just do it. Seven minutes per shirt. You’ll save money two ways—on the shirt service and the shirt longevity.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swore off the shirt service years ago and wash my own. Hang to dry, preferably outdoors. Ironing is a manageable chore: put on some music or a game on TV, and just do it. Seven minutes per shirt. You’ll save money two ways—on the shirt service and the shirt longevity.
I love ironing my shirts. It’s the closest I get to meditating. So relaxing. :smile:

stubloom

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior