• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Darkening my AE Delrays (in Chili)

kjm

Reaction score
Hi all,

After wearing my new Delrays a couple of times, I've decided that the Chili color is just a bit too light for me. I'd like to darken them, but I don't know how to go about it. Do I just apply a dark brown shoe polish? How many applications before the color changes? And is there any risk with this move? Is it even worth my time to try to darken my shoe?

I'm eager to hear what you guys have to say.

gj555

Reaction score
I would just use a darker polish to change the tone a little and nothing else.
I have been trying to darken my Chili shoes as well but have not been able to make a huge impact. Unless I strip them down with alcohol or similar, I think I am going to be stuck with the general color but in a slightly darker tone.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look, don't try to change the color all at once with polish alone. Get some cream polish in a dark brown, and apply it a little at a time when it needs polishing. Over time, you will darken them down. I had some very reddish chili kingsleys. This works. But not overnight. And if you try to do it overnight, it will end in tears.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used brown wax polish on my chili AE's over time. It darkens them slightly but do not expect miracles.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Look, don't try to change the color all at once with polish alone. Get some cream polish in a dark brown, and apply it a little at a time when it needs polishing. Over time, you will darken them down. I had some very reddish chili kingsleys. This works. But not overnight. And if you try to do it overnight, it will end in tears.

+1.

I use Meltonian dark brown and navy blue to darken. Over time, of course.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind you- those will darken up naturally over time too, not unlike a natural cherry wood. My chili AE's or about 8 years old and they're darker. I'm probably getting them refurbed soon and will be curious to see how they turn out.

Mind you- I love that chili color.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
+1.

I use Meltonian dark brown and navy blue to darken. Over time, of course.

Agree with above,,,,,this is the perfect combination for what you are trying to do, but be VERY careful with the Navy Blue, and only apply a little at a time

it stains much more deeply than any other show polish color you can use (must have something to do with the indigo dye) and once applied, is VERY hard to reverse, sans using rubbing alcohol or a deglazer

dab a small amount of Navy on a rag, rub it in to the toe or any area you want darkened, then do the same to apply the dark Brown polish over it

very, very, very little Navy at a time, trust me
teacha.gif

kjm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think I'll follow grimslade's plan. I feel like its the best way to avoid completely destroying my shoes in the case of failure. How long will it take to noticeably darken my shoes using the dark shoe cream?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd repeat "Cary Grant's" advice that they just darken up naturally.

In your position, I'd use A-E's mocha-colored cream shoe polish (instead of chili) to accelerate the gradual darkening process.

I have to ask, if you don't like the color, why'd you buy them in the first place? I personally love A-E's chili.

kjm

Reaction score
Excellent question, JLibourel.

I really like the chili color, but the red undertones really stand out under the harsh florescent light at work, and I feel like darker brown would be more appropriate (i.e. conservative).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics