Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dark shirt on dark suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by trueskills, Aug 23, 2011.

1. trueskills

trueskills Member

I recently bought a round collar shirt from PINK that fits quite nicely and all, but i was wondering what the general consensus on a dark shade shirt on a dark gray suit is. My suit is charcoal gray and the shirt is most close to a royal blue, possibly slightly darker. Its still too blue to be considered navy, but regardless, its on the darker side of blue. I put it on real quickly and tried to put on a brighter tie to try and counter the effect of it.

[​IMG]

i apologize that the picture is on a cell phone, for its poor quality and color distortion..

but if something like that doesn't work, what kind of colored suits work best with dark blues?

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

There are no absolute stonewall regulations regarding matching colors, but I would say the darker to lighter combination leads to a good looking outfit. Dark Grey with light blue would work umpteen times better than darker blue.

Also not sure Im a great fan of that shirt collar. To other SF members - what is the point of a rounded collar? Is it dandyism? Was there a specific function for it?

3. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Not good in 95% of cases if not worn in a casual way.....

Dark blue with a navy suit is borderline OK as long as the two tones of blue are different...

4. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If you work in a client-facing environment I would not suggest this combo. I have friends in back office and IT roles and they wear what I'll call non-traditional shirts all the time (think Express).

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Not sure of a "point" but it is known as a "Penny Collar" in England at least. I assume something to do with the the diameter of the curve being similar to an old Penny?

As to the shirt, I rather like dark blue with a nice pale yellow tie. It has something of a summers day about it. Maybe try

This or This

6. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

In general, that's not an SF-approved combo, but I still like to experiment with it from time to time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Pendulum

Pendulum Senior member

It has the whiff of IT technician about it, to the point where I'd wonder if it's a short sleeved shirt you've got on under the jacket.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1

9. preposterous

preposterous Active Member

+1 to all above.

Looks like a nice collar to be worn open on a summer's day, though. Depending on the fabric, of course.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Light shirts usually look better than dark ones. A dark shirt and a dark suit will in most cases not look very good. Adding a light tie guarantees that it looks terrible.

11. trueskills

trueskills Member

In that case, would the shirt possibly go better with a very casual black blazer, for a look to go out? Or do you all think it should be strictly for casual purposes only?

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It may work in the evening with a casual blazer; personally I think I lighter shirt will still look better in most situations though.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I like the dark suit + dark shirt worn without a tie...when going out to a bar and/or nightclub.

I like Threadbearer's combo but to me its a very casual after 6 kind of look.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I'd just wear that shirt open collar, no tie, and chuck on a pair of casual pants or jeans. Probably would work better than trying to pair it up with a sport coat or suit.

15. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

It is not bad, but could be worse. I would say it dose work here but there are certainly better options to go with here.