• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Navy/Black Dotted Tie

dopamine

Reaction score
I've been looking for a dark navy or black dotted tie for a very long time (preferably a slimmer one, around 3" or less) but haven't been able to find one that's to my liking. I spotted Jon Stewart wearing one tonight that I thought was pretty good:
Picture2.png
Does anyone have any suggestions and/or links to a tie that would be good? Thanks in advance.

darkoak

Reaction score
Jon Stewart wears a lot of RL Black Label, and that's a pretty standard issue style, so you can probably find a few online or at their stores.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
I've been looking for a dark navy or black dotted tie for a very long time (preferably a slimmer one, around 3" or less) but haven't been able to find one that's to my liking. I spotted Jon Stewart wearing one tonight that I thought was pretty good: Does anyone have any suggestions and/or links to a tie that would be good? Thanks in advance.
RLPL has some beautiful pin dots from time to time for a beautiful ready made tie. As well as Turnbull & Asser in London. I am not sure if they do mail order. We are having woven some new English pin-dot silks with a 350 warp for those who like heavy silks right now, for bespoke tie orders in roughly a couple of months.

dopamine

Reaction score
Just as a general rule, how should I evaluate length for a tie? I think that I may need a shorter tie, I'm 5'9" and many of the ties that I purchase from Brooks Brothers seem to be a bit on the long side.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Paul Stuart and Sam Hober have almost every pin dot color combo you could ever dream of. Also, Turnbull & Asser has great ones. Navy pin dot is the classic business tie, IMHO, and I own 3 of them in different weights and slightly different shades.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a dark navy or black dotted tie for a very long time (preferably a slimmer one, around 3" or less) but haven't been able to find one that's to my liking. I spotted Jon Stewart wearing one tonight that I thought was pretty good:

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or links to a tie that would be good? Thanks in advance.

If you ever get to NYC or CHI they should have one at Paul Stuart, altough the dots may be a bit larger that your looking for. They are more of a polka dot than a pin dot. If you go down the price spectrum, I've noticed that J Crew has been carrying a blue polka dot lately, but I completely understand if you don't want to buy your neckwear from them.

I did a quick search and also found this, but I think it looks like crap. I believe it was featured in a GQ spread a couple of years back.

As mentioned in the first reply, RLPL has this and this.

Good luck!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on RLPL

I own that exact tie in navy and it's, by far, my favorite.

dopamine

Reaction score
I'm a fairly skinny guy, so I'm afraid that a wider tie would look comical. Are RLPL ties made in a slimmer width?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fairly skinny guy, so I'm afraid that a wider tie would look comical. Are RLPL ties made in a slimmer width?

eh...they're by no means a skinny tie. RLBL makes a good skinnier tie without being skinny.

I'm a thin guy, too, and I've worn RLPL with a Thick as Thieves suit and it never looked bad to me. ymmv.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just as a general rule, how should I evaluate length for a tie? I think that I may need a shorter tie, I'm 5'9" and many of the ties that I purchase from Brooks Brothers seem to be a bit on the long side.
Dopamine, Your question is a good one. While wearing a tie with the knot of your choice and the large end of your tie where you like it the small end should be around 2 inches higher. All things being equal a full Windsor will need roughly 2 or 3 more inches than a four-in-hand knot. Your height should typically fit a Brooks Brother 57" tie or be perhaps an inch long unless you are thin or maybe have a short torso. Brooks Brothers makes great classic ties which I grew up with.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Brooks Brothers makes great classic ties which I grew up with.
I like my Brooks Brother's ties, but they don't seem to hold their shape too well. Mine are already getting wrinkly, and I haven't had the chance to steam them a bit to get them back to normal. I purchased mine from an outlet store, however, so I'm not sure if the quality is on par with their regular ties.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL had a navy with white pin dot recently. F/W 2007, maybe? Paul Stuart's Phineas ties are narrower than their regular line, but I don't recall a navy pin dot this season. Hober will make you a tie in any width and length you want. Reviews of his products are universally glowing, so he may be a good option.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like my Brooks Brother's ties, but they don't seem to hold their shape too well. Mine are already getting wrinkly, and I haven't had the chance to steam them a bit to get them back to normal. I purchased mine from an outlet store, however, so I'm not sure if the quality is on par with their regular ties.
Dopamine, When I was growing up BB did not have outlet stores (that we knew of..) and I do not know what they make for their outlets these days. If you can find RLPL on sale you will perhaps be happier than with your BB outlet ties. Four in hand who posts on this forum also has nice classics on sale from time to time.

dopamine

Reaction score
I actually ordered one of the Vintage by AG ties. I figured for $15, it'd be worth it to have at least some casual skinny ties, and if I like it, I'll probably order 2 more. What about Rooster University? I like the 2.74" tie width, and I was looking to get a solid black dressy tie that I wouldn't have to pay through the nose for like BoO or Dior.

gamblor

Reaction score
Kilgour's specialty is expensive things with dots. 7cm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads