• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dark grey suit ok for afternoon summer wedding?

money-mike

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I know it has been beat to death... but is a dark grey suit ok to wear for a semi-formal/informal early afternoon summer wedding?

I have one suit that fits me decently well (the dark grey one, which unfortunately is a slightly heavier wool - better for autumn/winter) and a dark navy suit that fits me loosely.
Do I go with the dark grey one? dark navy one? Would these options be unacceptable enough for me to try to purchase a suit before the wedding (coming in a few short weeks)?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the weather outside is very hot or if the wedding is outdoors, then I'd wear the navy suit. If alterations would help the fit, then maybe you have enough time to have it altered.

Yesterday I observed two different weddings from a distance. I saw very well dressed along with very poorly dressed men. Both brides were beautiful.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few weeks should be plenty of time to have alterations done on the navy suit, if that's what you want to do. The questions to ask yourself are: how well will the suit fit after alterations, and would that money be better spent on a new suit?

I had one (OTR) suit altered after I lost about 30 pounds. It is wearable again, and the alterations cost a good bit less than replacing the suit would have cost, but it will never fit as well as an OTR suit in a smaller size would.

money-mike

Reaction score
Hmm... Well I suppose I could try to get the dark navy one altered.
It would need somewhat extensive changes (and may cost too much for me to want to do it).

The pants need to be taken in at the crotch, legs need to be narrowed and shortened a bit.
Jacket needs to be taken in at the waist and the sleeves need to be shortened a little.
Actually I'm not sure if I would have enough time? It'll be a week and a half remaining (and I would need to get it pressed as well).

money-mike

Reaction score
Another alternative... I don't know if it will work. I have a order in for a black suit. I've just requested that they change the fabric color to a stone color. Hopefully it is not too late in their fabric processing/suit making process to change this. That would work out perfectly if they could!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads