• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Grey Calf Shoes - Yes or No?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the forum think of dark grey calf, like JLP deep lord grey, as a substitute for black calf generally? What about for formal (yes formal) occasions?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have any, but it seems like a cool idea to me. It doesn't, however, sound like a good idea for very formal occasions.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd do it for formal -- if it were like really dark but heavily antiqued gray, but in a classic style, like something in an old Berluti catalog.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the style, yet not for formal occasions. I'd stick with black there.
In a casual outfit they can make a nice change. Saw a couple at Cologne some weeks ago who both wore mid-grey shoes... looked quite cool.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC a forum member recently posted pics of JL shoes in grey. The shoes looked fantastic and would likely look good with the appropriate outfit. I've also seen grey at the JL shop in NY and was surprised at how nice they looked, though I'm not sure I would buy a pair.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Lobb shoes are in a shade of antiqued pewter, which I think conveys a different look than solid grey, which has a certain boulevardian elegance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Lobb shoes are in a shade of antiqued pewter, which I think conveys a different look than solid grey, which has a certain boulevardian elegance.
Good point - I agree.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like the gray; it adds a bit of twist. I might consider wearing it on formal occasions, depending on the type of occasion. Weddings, fund raisers, or more "festive" occasions might be ok - it might just come across as part of your personal style. More solemn formal occasions I would go traditional with black.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No. Awful. Why do you need to go beyond black and brown? I mean, green is great for a casual shoe, but gray shoes just look cheap and tacky.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No. Awful. Why do you need to go beyond black and brown? I mean, green is great for a casual shoe, but gray shoes just look cheap and tacky.

I've seen grey shoes from labels like Artioli which indeed look cheap and tawdry; but I feel that were it a deep black pearl grey from some place like Gomez, it would look tasteful.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen grey shoes from labels like Artioli which indeed look cheap and tawdry; but I feel that were it a deep black pearl grey from some place like Gomez, it would look tasteful.
The shoe might look tasteful, but likely the person wearing it would not. Too many shoes here are judged simply as shoes and not as things that look good on the wearer with the rest of his clothing.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like a variety of colors, I think grey can look pretty cool, but I would not think of substituting them for black formal shoes.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
might look good in lizad skin or sea turtle

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I'd do it for formal -- if it were like really dark but heavily antiqued gray, but in a classic style, like something in an old Berluti catalog.

This where I got the idea, both JLP and Berluti have sample bespoke shoes that are off black. With the JLP the bespoke fitter told me that the sample is actually black, but really old so now it looks charcoal...he told me that the same effect could be achieved with their dark grey calf. The Berluti sample was the 1 eyelet/side elastic derby that was dark grey with a black patina.

Originally Posted by luk-cha
might look good in lizad skin or sea turtle

or elephant!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by iammatt
The shoe might look tasteful, but likely the person wearing it would not. Too many shoes here are judged simply as shoes and not as things that look good on the wearer with the rest of his clothing.

plain.gif
no idea how you can make this assumption

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads