• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dark Green Overcoat - Yay / Nay?

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already have a gray (H&S), navy (Dugdales) and fawn (Harrisons covert book), so all the basics are there. But I love overcoats and think I could do easily with another (wear nothing else outside for 3-4 months after all).

Thinking of getting a dark green (Minnis 2023: http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=4&p=3) - DB with half belt in the back (the other 3 above are all standard DBs).

Too aggressive? I never see green overcoats around so am a bit hesitant. The cloth is stunning.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, do it! I have one and it's great for this time of the year.

bullethead

Reaction score
at the moment I'm having one made by paul winston. it is a green tweed with a light green and rust windowpane. the cloth is a 24oz from the Hardy alsport.

it will be done in a raglan falling just below the knee. they made a shell from remnant cloth lying around to give me an idea of what it would look like, making some changes along the way and more important, allowing me to see if i wanted to change the design at the last moment.

hope to get it around xmas.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Already have a gray (H&S), navy (Dugdales) and fawn (Harrisons covert book), so all the basics are there. But I love overcoats and think I could do easily with another (wear nothing else outside for 3-4 months after all).

Thinking of getting a dark green (Minnis 2023: http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=4&p=3) - DB with half belt in the back (the other 3 above are all standard DBs).

Too aggressive? I never see green overcoats around so am a bit hesitant. The cloth is stunning.

Not at all!
When I was in London in December over ten years ago I saw many otherwise well-
dressed British gentlemen in Mayfair wearing green Loden cloth coats with their pin-stipes
and/or nail-head business suits.

http://www.born-for-loden.co.uk/coats.html

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
When I was in London in December over ten years ago I saw many otherwise well-dressed British gentlemen in Mayfair wearing green Loden cloth coats with their pin-stipes and/or nail-head business suits.

Don't let "˜fritzl' see the "otherwise"!

Some twenty years ago, there was only one person in the UK wearing a loden coat:
Douglas Hurd, Margaret Thatcher's Foreign Secretary and he got a lot of flak for it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a green one from Dior 2 or 3 years ago that I loved, but, unfortunately, I lost the belt and ended up donating it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Absolutely

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.