• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Green Overcoat - Yay / Nay?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Already have a gray (H&S), navy (Dugdales) and fawn (Harrisons covert book), so all the basics are there. But I love overcoats and think I could do easily with another (wear nothing else outside for 3-4 months after all).

Thinking of getting a dark green (Minnis 2023: http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=4&p=3) - DB with half belt in the back (the other 3 above are all standard DBs).

Too aggressive? I never see green overcoats around so am a bit hesitant. The cloth is stunning.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, do it! I have one and it's great for this time of the year.

bullethead

Reaction score
at the moment I'm having one made by paul winston. it is a green tweed with a light green and rust windowpane. the cloth is a 24oz from the Hardy alsport.

it will be done in a raglan falling just below the knee. they made a shell from remnant cloth lying around to give me an idea of what it would look like, making some changes along the way and more important, allowing me to see if i wanted to change the design at the last moment.

hope to get it around xmas.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes.
DSC00959.jpg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Already have a gray (H&S), navy (Dugdales) and fawn (Harrisons covert book), so all the basics are there. But I love overcoats and think I could do easily with another (wear nothing else outside for 3-4 months after all).

Thinking of getting a dark green (Minnis 2023: http://www.hfwltd.com/bobb.php?b=jjm&c=4&p=3) - DB with half belt in the back (the other 3 above are all standard DBs).

Too aggressive? I never see green overcoats around so am a bit hesitant. The cloth is stunning.

Not at all!
When I was in London in December over ten years ago I saw many otherwise well-
dressed British gentlemen in Mayfair wearing green Loden cloth coats with their pin-stipes
and/or nail-head business suits.

http://www.born-for-loden.co.uk/coats.html

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
When I was in London in December over ten years ago I saw many otherwise well-dressed British gentlemen in Mayfair wearing green Loden cloth coats with their pin-stipes and/or nail-head business suits.

Don't let "˜fritzl' see the "otherwise"!

Some twenty years ago, there was only one person in the UK wearing a loden coat:
Douglas Hurd, Margaret Thatcher's Foreign Secretary and he got a lot of flak for it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a green one from Dior 2 or 3 years ago that I loved, but, unfortunately, I lost the belt and ended up donating it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads