• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark gray buttons on a lavender dress shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsanbourne

Reaction score
Hi folks! I've been reading the forum for a while but decided to post when I ordered a made-to-measure light lavender dress shirt with DARK gray iridescent (subtle lavender shine depending on light) buttons. Is this a weird combo? I want to wear the shirt for both formal (with dark gray suit) and shirt + sweater occasions to make a great impression on people I'm meeting for the first time. I wonder if the buttons will just distract and if I should try to change the order to classic white buttons. Your quick thoughts would be a great help to me!

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! I've been reading the forum for a while but decided to post when I ordered a made-to-measure light lavender button down shirt with DARK gray iridescent (subtle lavender shine depending on light) buttons. Is this a weird combo? I want to wear the shirt for both formal (with dark gray suit) and shirt + sweater occasions to make a great impression on people I'm meeting for the first time. I wonder if the buttons will just distract and if I should try to change the order to classic white buttons. Your quick thoughts would be a great help to me!

Stick with white if your shirt is actually pale. Dark buttons on a shirt turn it into a casual item, in my opinion. And if the shirt isn't pale lavender, get a white one. Actually, get a white one anyway.

starro

Reaction score
To me, the button-down already makes the shirt informal. Not much damage done by the buttons.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! I've been reading the forum for a while but decided to post when I ordered a made-to-measure light lavender button down shirt with DARK gray iridescent (subtle lavender shine depending on light) buttons. Is this a weird combo? I want to wear the shirt for both formal (with dark gray suit) and shirt + sweater occasions to make a great impression on people I'm meeting for the first time. I wonder if the buttons will just distract and if I should try to change the order to classic white buttons. Your quick thoughts would be a great help to me!
I'm moving this to the "Menswear Advice" forum: http://www.styleforum.net/f/20929/menswear-advice

For this particular shirt, I would definitely go for classic white buttons. That it is light lavender is already eyecatching. Dark buttons on top of that would put the shirt into the realm of the overdesigned, imo, or at very least, into the realm of shirts that I saw a lot of in the late 90s, early 2000s (same era when three buttoned high collars became a thing for a while, though not a long while).

lsanbourne

Reaction score
Starro, perhaps I don't know the right term? It is a buttoned dress shirt. What kind of shirt without buttons are you referring to?

Thanks all for the great replies! Sounds like I should call and try to change the order. Hope it's still possible.

L

starro

Reaction score
Starro, perhaps I don't know the right term? It is a buttoned dress shirt. What kind of shirt without buttons are you referring to?

Thanks all for the great replies! Sounds like I should call and try to change the order. Hope it's still possible.

L

I'm referring to the button-down collar shirts. These are meant to be informal , and not worn with neckties.

I use the term "dress shirt" to refer to your standard shirt to-be-worn-with-a-suit. Hope this helps!

starro

Reaction score
Thanks Starro! I changed my original posting. White it is.

Another option to think about is covered placket. This is where there's an extra placket flap that covers all the buttons. This way you can indulge in your button preferences in secret.

Of course, only if your MTM shirtmaker allows this.

starro

Reaction score
Another option to think about is covered placket. This is where there's an extra placket flap that covers all the buttons. This way you can indulge in your button preferences in secret.

Of course, only if your MTM shirtmaker allows this.

A picture is worth 1000 words. I'm talking about this...

...rather than the standard placket, like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads