• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Dress Shirts

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
I just got a great deal on a load of new Barba dress shirts (10 black label, one gold label and one green label), direct from Italy. The price worked out to $85 per shirt all in, and they fit me beautifully. Thing is, most of the shirts are dark (burgundy, bordeaux, deep geen, dark gray, dark blue, etc.).

Can you provide any general advice on how to wear dark dress shirts in a (more or less) SF-approved manner? I'm also very open to suggestions of more a streetwear & denim variety. Any photos of how you pull this off (for any of the above colors) would also be appreciated.

Cheers!

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear them with grey dress slacks.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Any other advice for shirts that are, say, dark green vs. burgundy vs. dark blue vs. charcoal?

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show us some photos of the shirts.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NVM. After Master Classter's photos (see Post 7) ... I'm changing my tune.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid gray sweaters. Wear 'em under those, and whatever the hell you want on the bottom.

I would also throw one on with lighter pants- say white jeans.

The key is to keep contrast without going gimmicky. But stay away from contrasty light sportcoats for the most part. It can be done, but don't come off like the guy in the white suit, black shirt and white tie. But feel free to wear a light colored cardigan or something like that. If you want to go off the deep end, a white cafe racer.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
khaki/tan suits. and mid-grey. Red, orange, etc no problem. Brown, Black, Navy shirts... all doable for example:
Gh6SK.jpg
2Krvt.jpg
0eGKz.jpg
5oejm.jpg

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the photos. Great ideas in there...
worship.gif

Now who wants to sell me a tan suit?

BTW I get hot easily and have issues with sweaters
confused.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
BTW I get hot easily and have issues with sweaters
confused.gif

One wouldn't wear them in summer... But all those are merely suggestions. Modify them to suit your own requirements and sensibilities.

Just pair the shirts with stone khakis to start, and work your way from there.

Oh, and I bet you can find a tan suit or two on B&S this time of year.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
cptjeff - I do appreciate the suggestions. Turning 40 this year so maybe fall will be the time to start experimenting with (light, easily removable) sweaters...

blush.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find them more appropriate to wear in the evening.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
khaki/tan suits. and mid-grey.

Red, orange, etc no problem.

Brown, Black, Navy shirts... all doable for example:
Gh6SK.jpg

This is so subtly played. The pocket square works perfectly.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I find them more appropriate to wear in the evening.

This. They are more fashion-forward, so I reserve mine for evenings/dates, though I'm impressed with some of the suggestions and pictures above. I may re-think the use of my dark dress shirts and become more daring.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
This. They are more fashion-forward, so I reserve mine for evenings/dates, though I'm impressed with some of the suggestions and pictures above. I may re-think the use of my dark dress shirts and become more daring.

I see people not pull this off every day at work. People show up on a bright summer day with a cheap-looking H&M or Express dark shirt that makes them look like they are about to hear to a singles bar or to the disco.

In pictures above, they look good--especially with the light jackets. However, this is a look that is easy to get wrong.

gauche.story

Reaction score
2Krvt.jpg

Come on. Why did you pose like a fairy? Otherwise, good looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads