• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dark Charcoal Odd Sports Coat

Newlaw

Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a very dark charcoal sports coat. I would wear this primarily with jeans and black/cordovan/merlot shoes during the evening (at bars, etc). I know some on this forum aren't necessarily fond of a charcoal odd jacket (especially dark charcoal), but what else would you all pair this with? Grey slacks? Brown shoes?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you will be fine for most occasions except for SF meetings.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blind leading the blind...

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is a suit jacket, period.

Not to say you can't wear it. I know nothing of what the kids are wearing to bars these days. If wearing suit jackets with jeans is hip, go for it.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That is a suit jacket, period.

Not to say you can't wear it. I know nothing of what the kids are wearing to bars these days. If wearing suit jackets with jeans is hip, go for it.

Point taken... I guess in certain situations, brass buttons on a blazer actually feel more stuffy than a sleek jacket.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a suit jacket, BUT...if it's short and slim, you can wear it with jeans to bars. If it's traditional length, stay away.

Newlaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Yes, it's a suit jacket, BUT...if it's short and slim, you can wear it with jeans to bars. If it's traditional length, stay away.
Its an Oxxford jacket in 48L. I am 6'4, so usually coats aren't too long on me. I know Oxxford is usually considered a fuller cut. This is a "Renaissance" style... not sure what type of cut this is.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's made from worsted wool it's a suit jacket. If it's cashmere or something else that distinguishes it from a suit jacket then you've got a shot pulling it off. I wouldn't do it.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands

I agree with this. If you're young and looking for an odd sportcoat to wear to a bar, get something cool and youthful. Topman would probably a good source for something like that for you.

Sazerac

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the shot you posted, but try it on and if it looks good, wear it with confidence. That confidence part is 99% of making a piece work.

There is nothing - nothing- intrinsically wrong with wearing a suit jacket as a separate piece with jeans so long as the cut and fabric are right. Don't go with a dull, business-ey, blue pinstripe affair, but from what I can tell of the jacket from the picture, you're probably good to go.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
It's hard to tell from the shot you posted, but try it on and if it looks good, wear it with confidence. That confidence part is 99% of making a piece work.

There is nothing - nothing- intrinsically wrong with wearing a suit jacket as a separate piece with jeans so long as the cut and fabric are right. Don't go with a dull, business-ey, blue pinstripe affair, but from what I can tell of the jacket from the picture, you're probably good to go.

Originally Posted by TRINI
Blind leading the blind...

QFT

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.