• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark brown shoes with charcoal suit

wq1999

Reaction score
Hello.

I understand that dark brown is considered by many to be a more versatile color than black for shoes. Does its versatility extend to combination with a charcoal grey suit? Is there a consensus on this?

many thanks.

Mentos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
Hello.

I understand that dark brown is considered by many to be a more versatile color than black for shoes. Does its versatility extend to combination with a charcoal grey suit? Is there a consensus on this?

many thanks.

No consensus, but there is strong, strong support here. Basically not for interviews or, as a certain someone says, when doing business with the English, but otherwise a lot of people here would only wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit.

Do a few searches. This comes up all the time.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a practising attorney (hope to get it right someday) and would not hesitate to wear brown shoes with a charcoal suit for all occasions.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Next summer if I'm feeling very radical, I will wear dark brown shoes with light or mid grey. Or I may chicken out and just do cordovan.

Brown with dark grey suits around this part of the world is either (a) an Italian/Louis thing, or (b) an old Boston Yankee thing, which looks much stodgier. Either way, I am not a fan.

Yet.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Very much yes on dark brown shoes and charcoal suit. Works superbly.
smile.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt. Great combination
thumbs-up.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this a trick question...?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Works well. Probably not for interviews, and maybe not a good idea in front of a jury, but otherwise, great combination, wear anytime.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Works well. Probably not for interviews, and maybe not a good idea in front of a jury, but otherwise, great combination, wear anytime.
I wore that combination during my closing argument in my most recent jury trial. FWIW, I won. (Thereby netting my clients a pretty piece of paper that says somebody theoretically owes them a lot of money.) Then again, maybe the damages award would have been bigger if I'd worn black shoes.
eh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A little attention should be paid to the color of your accessories. Oranges, greens, pinks, and earth tones in the shirt or tie pair very nicely with -- almost demand -- brown shoes but don't look so good with black. Banker blues and reds, and also white shirts and spiffy wedding ties, pair perfectly with black shoes but can be incongruous with brown.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wq1999
Hello.

many thanks.

this is just one of my favorite looks. a luscious antiqued dark brown shoe on a charcoal suit looks just too delicious.

everytime i look down at my feet and see the pant and shoe combo my mouth starts to salivate uncontrollably.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
this is just one of my favorite looks. a luscious antiqued dark brown shoe on a charcoal suit looks just too delicious.

everytime i look down at my feet and see the pant and shoe combo my mouth starts to salivate uncontrollably.

For anybody who shares diorshoe's physiological reaction, Novaguy's advice of not trying this in a job interview or before a jury is probably prudent.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
Yes, Margaret, this is a classic example of over-sharing (although I do sympathize).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads